The Naked Earth
The Naked Earth is a 1958 British-American drama film directed by Vincent Sherman and written by Milton Holmes and Harold Buchman. The film stars Richard Todd, Juliette Gréco, John Kitzmiller, Finlay Currie, Laurence Naismith and Christopher Rhodes. The film was released on February 4, 1958, by 20th Century Fox.
|The Naked Earth|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Vincent Sherman|
|Produced by||Adrian D. Worker|
|Written by||Milton Holmes|
|Music by||Arthur Benjamin|
|Edited by||Russell Lloyd|
Four Square Productions
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox|
The action takes place at the end of the nineteenth century, in East Africa. Danny Halloran, a Briton, comes to find a friend tobacco farmer but fails to do so. He discovers that the farmer died leaving a widow, Maria. Danny falls in love with the young woman and decides to marry her and take over the plantation. When the harvest fails, he goes hunting for crocodiles to trade their skins.
- O'Brien, Daniel (2017). Black Masculinity on Film: Native Sons and White Lies. Springer. p. 133. ISBN 9781137593238. Retrieved 17 June 2019.
- Crowther, Bosley (1958-08-29). "Movie Review - - 'Naked Earth' Arrives; Juliette Greco Stars in Drama at Mayfair Richard Todd Is Male Lead in Africa Tale". NYTimes.com. Retrieved 2018-01-06.
- Steve Huey. "The Naked Earth (1958) - Vincent Sherman". AllMovie. Retrieved 2018-01-06.
- "Naked Earth". Catalog.afi.com. Retrieved 2018-01-06.
- Lentz III, Harris M. (2008). Obituaries in the Performing Arts, 2002: Film, Television, Radio, Theatre, Dance, Music, Cartoons and Pop Culture. McFarland. p. 156. ISBN 9780786452071. Retrieved 17 June 2019.