British theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Jack Cardiff|
|Produced by||Robert D. Weinbach|
|Written by||Edward Mann|
Robert D. Weinbach
|Music by||Basil Kirchin|
Jack Nathan (uncredited)
|Edited by||John Trumper|
Getty Pictures Corp.
|Distributed by||Columbia-Warner (UK)|
Columbia Pictures (US)
|October 1974 (UK)|
25 September 1974 (US)
A deranged genetic scientist abducts college students as human guinea pigs that he uses in his experiments in crossbreeding plants with humans. The failed experimental mutants are then given to a cruel circus freakshow owner who exploits them to the fullest. However, the mutants and the circus freaks will not be denied justice.
- Donald Pleasence as Professor Nolter
- Tom Baker as Lynch
- Brad Harris as Brian Redford
- Julie Ege as Hedi
- Michael Dunn as Burns
- Scott Antony as Tony
- Jill Haworth as Lauren
- Olga Anthony as Bridget
- Lisa Collings as Prostitute
- Joan Scott as Landlady
- Toby Lennon as Tramp
- John Wreford as Policeman
- Eithne Dunne as Nurse
- Richard Davies as Doctor
The film was released on DVD by Subversive Cinema on September 27, 2005. Subversive Cinema later re-released the film on January 29, 2008 as a part of its 2-Disk Greenhouse Gore movie pack. It was last released by Desert Island Films on February 18, 2012.
Author and film critic Leonard Maltin awarded the film 2 out of 4 stars, criticizing the film's predictable story and what he called "grotesque elements and characters". TV Guide awarded the film 1/5 stars, writing, "Though at times the film is so bad it's unintentionally funny, it has a certain cruelty to it."
- "The Mutations". American Film Institute. Retrieved 24 November 2015.
- "The Mutations (1973) | BFI". Explore.bfi.org.uk. Retrieved 2014-07-24.
- "The Mutations (1974) - Jack Cardiff". Allmovie.com. AllMovie. Retrieved 3 July 2018.
- Leonard Maltin (2013). Leonard Maltin's Movie Guide: 2014 Edition : the Modern Era. Plume Books. p. 964. ISBN 978-0-14-218055-6.
- "The Mutations - Movie Reviews and Movie Ratings". TV Guide.com. TV Guide. Retrieved 3 July 2018.