The Monkey's Paw (1933 film)
The Monkey's Paw is a 1933 American pre-Code horror film co-directed by Ernest B. Schoedsack (prologue) and Wesley Ruggles, based on the story, "The Monkey's Paw" (1902) by W. W. Jacobs. The film was considered lost until pictures from it were posted online in 2016.
|The Monkey's Paw|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Ernest B. Schoedsack|
|Produced by||Pandro S. Berman|
Merian C. Cooper
|Screenplay by||Graham John|
|Based on||The Monkey's Paw|
by W. W. Jacobs
|Starring||Ivan F. Simpson|
C. Aubrey Smith
|Music by||Max Steiner (uncredited)|
|Edited by||Charles L. Kimball|
|Distributed by||RKO Radio Pictures|
- Ivan F. Simpson as Mr. White
- Louise Carter as Mrs. White
- C. Aubrey Smith as Sgt. Maj. Morris
- Bramwell Fletcher as Herbert White
- Betty Lawford as Rose
- Winter Hall as Mr. Hartigan
- Herbert Bunston as Sampson
- Nina Quartero as Nura
- Nigel De Brulier as Hindu Fakir (uncredited)
- J.M. Kerrigan as Cpl. O'Leary (uncredited)
A contemporary review in The International Photographer considered it "greatly handicapped by its unrelenting sombre mood. Even the inevitable happy ending that wags its tale at the end is hardly sufficient to dispel the gloom. The cast is uniformly capable, but the lack of a dominant screen personality is keenly felt...The photography is an example of what can be done with the new supersensitive emulsions using very little light."
- Jewell, Richard B.; Harbin, Vernon (1982). The RKO Story. New York: Arlington House. p. 57. ISBN 0-517-546566.
- "The Monkey's Paw (1933) - Wesley Ruggles, Ernest B. Schoedsack - Synopsis, Characteristics, Moods, Themes and Related - AllMovie". AllMovie.
- "Nitrateville forum". Nitrateville. 5 April 2016. Retrieved 5 April 2016.
- Pitts, Michael R. (28 April 2015). "RKO Radio Pictures Horror, Science Fiction and Fantasy Films, 1929–1956". McFarland – via Google Books.