The Medical Repository

The Medical Repository was the first American medical journal, founded in 1797[1] and published quarterly, with some interruptions, through 1824.

It was printed by T. & J. Swords, Printers to the Faculty of Physic of Columbia College, New York.

The journal's founding editors were Elihu H. Smith, Samuel L. Mitchill, and Edward Miller. Smith edited the journal until his death in 1798, and Miller until his in 1812, with Mitchill leaving his editorship after 1821; the final volumes were edited by James R. Manley and Charles Drake. The journal filled a vacuum in medical literature in the early United States, as most medical publications were European and difficult to obtain; the great demand for the journal is attested by the fact that its first two volumes were each reprinted twice, in 1800 and 1804.

References

  1. Clemency Chase Coggins (1965). "Medical Articles in Eighteenth Century American Magazines". 18th Century American Medical Articles. 53: 426–37. PMC 198299. PMID 14306031.
  • John S. Billings (1876). "Literature and Institutions". A Century of American Medicine, 1776-1876. H.C. Lea. pp. 289–366 (p. 330).
  • Richard J. Kahn; Patricia G. Kahn (1997). "The Medical Repository — The First U.S. Medical Journal (1797–1824)". The New England Journal of Medicine. 337 (26): 1926–1930. doi:10.1056/NEJM199712253372617. PMID 9407162.


This article is issued from Wikipedia. The text is licensed under Creative Commons - Attribution - Sharealike. Additional terms may apply for the media files.