The Manxman (1916 film)
The Manxman (also known as The Manx-Man) is a 1916 British silent drama film directed by George Loane Tucker and starring Henry Ainley, Adeline Hayden Coffin and Will Corrie. It is based on the novel the 1894 novel of the same name by Hall Caine. A second silent adaptation, directed by Alfred Hitchcock, was released in 1929.
U.S. theatrical release poster
|Directed by||George Loane Tucker|
|Written by||Kenelm Foss|
|Based on||The Manxman|
by Hall Caine
Adeline Hayden Coffin
|Distributed by||Jury Films|
|Language||Silent film with English intertitles|
Upon its release in England in December 1916, The Manxman was a financial and critical success. It was one of relatively few British films to also become a hit in the United States. No copies of the film are known to exist, and The Manxman nitrate was destroyed by a fire in the 1965 MGM vault fire.
- Henry Ainley - Philip Christian
- Adeline Hayden Coffin - Governor's wife
- Will Corrie - Fisherman
- John Marlborough East - Casar Cregeen
- Kenelm Foss - Ross Christian
- Lewis Gilbert - Black Tom
- Minna Grey - Mona
- Fred Groves - Pete Quillian
- Gwynne Herbert - Aunt Nan
- Philip Hewland - Governor
- Mary Merrall - Tom's girl
- John Milton - Quiggan
- Guy Newall - Secretary
- Edward O'Neill - Iron Christian
- Elisabeth Risdon - Kate Gregeen
- Frank Stanmore - Kelley
- Hubert Willis - Clerk
- Bert Wynne - Peter Christian
- Goble, Alan, ed. (1999). The Complete Index to Literary Sources in Film. Walter de Gruyter. p. 67. ISBN 3-110-95194-0.
- Strauss, Marc Raymond (2004). Alfred Hitchcock's Silent Films. McFarland. p. 195. ISBN 0-786-41901-6.
- National Board of Review (1951). "Book Reviews". Films in Review. National Board of Review of Motion Pictures. 2: 55. ISSN 0015-1688.
- Allen, Vivien (1997). Hall Caine: Portrait of a Victorian Romancer. A & C Black. p. 363. ISBN 1-850-75809-3.
- Palmer, R. Barton (2011). Palmer, R. Barton; Boyd, David (eds.). Hitchcock at the Source: The Auteur as Adapter. SUNY Press. p. 62. ISBN 1-438-43750-1.