The Man from Toronto
The Man from Toronto is a 1933 British romantic comedy film directed by Sinclair Hill and starring Jessie Matthews, Ian Hunter and Kathleen Harrison. After an inheritance is left to them if they marry, an Englishwoman and a Canadian must meet for the first time to investigate the other - with comedic results. Matthews was considered a rising film star at the time of the production, and she quickly became one of Gainsborough Pictures' leading names.
|The Man from Toronto|
British trade ad
|Directed by||Sinclair Hill|
|Produced by||Michael Balcon|
|Screenplay by||W.P. Lipscomb|
|Based on||play The Man from Toronto by Douglas Murray|
|Starring||Jessie Matthews |
|Music by||Louis Levy|
|Edited by||R.E. Dearing|
|Distributed by||Ideal Films (UK)|
Lawyer Bunston (Frederick Kerr) presides over an eccentric will stipulating that the Canadian Fergus Wimbush (Ian Hunter) and the English Leslie Farrar (Jessie Matthews) will inherit a million if they wed. As the couple have never met, when the man from Toronto comes to England, Leslie poses as a parlour maid, in order to better make his acquaintance, and the two fall in love anyway.
- Jessie Matthews as Leslie Farrar
- Ian Hunter as Fergus Wimbush
- Frederick Kerr as Bunston
- Ben Field as Jonathan
- Margaret Yarde as Mrs. Hubbard
- Kathleen Harrison as Martha
- George Turner as Povey
- Herbert Lomas as Jake
- Laurence Hanray as Duncan
- Kenneth Kove as Vicar
- Sybil Grove as Vicar's Wife
- Percy Parsons as Hogbin
- Bill Shine (actor) as Butcher's Delivery Boy
- George Zucco as Squire
- George Benson as Villager
- Cyril Smith as Gossiping Villager
- Diana Cotton
- Sam Wilkinson
TV Guide gave the film two out of five stars, calling it "A little charmer," and concluded that, "Kerr, as the lawyer, does his best to pair the two off and carries the weight of the picture while doing so."
- Goble, Alan (1 January 1999). "The Complete Index to Literary Sources in Film". Walter de Gruyter – via Google Books.
- "The Man from Toronto (1933)".
- Wood p.75
- Richards p.212
- "The Man From Toronto". TVGuide.com.
- Low, Rachael. Filmmaking in 1930s Britain. George Allen & Unwin, 1985.
- Richards, Jeffrey. The Age of the Dream Palace: Cinema and Society in 1930s Britain. I.B Tauris, 2010.
- Wood, Linda. British Films, 1927–1939. British Film Institute, 1986.