The Man Upstairs (1958 film)
|The Man Upstairs|
Original UK quad poster
|Directed by||Don Chaffey|
|Produced by||Robert Dunbar|
|Written by||Alun Falconer|
|Edited by||John Trumper|
Peter Watson, a tenant of a boarding house, is infused, and troubled with pain and an inability to sleep. He repeatedly tries unsuccessfully to light the gas-fire that requires coins and seeks help from another lodger, artist Nicholas, who is spending the night with his model, and is reluctant to be disturbed. Another neighbour, Pollen, calls for police help. The other occupants in the property are awake by this time, and one of them, Mrs Barnes, tries to help the mentally confused Watson (known to them as John Wilson) but he also refuses her help. The police clash with Mr Sanderson, a mental heath worker, who thinks he can take Watson,who is armed, without complications, but when a police sergeant is injured Inspector Thompson is determined to remove him by force if necessary. Eventually Mrs Barnes manages to persuade the sick man to leave his room, and Mr Sanderson accompanies him to a waiting ambulance for hospital treatment.
- Richard Attenborough as Peter Watson
- Bernard Lee as Inspector Thompson
- Donald Houston as Mr. Sanderson
- Dorothy Alison as Mrs. Barnes
- Patricia Jessel as Mrs. Lawrence
- Virginia Maskell as Helen Grey
- Kenneth Griffith as Pollen
- Alfred Burke as Mr. Barnes
- Charles Houston as Nicholas
- Maureen Connell as Eunice Blair
- Amy Dalby as Miss Acres
- Walter Hudd as Superintendent
- Patrick Jordan as Injured Sergeant
- Graham Stewart as Sergeant Morris
- Victor Brooks as Sergeant Collins
- Edward Judd as P.C. Stevens
TV Guide wrote, "a superb performance from Attenborough is at the core of this character study"; and The New York Times singled out Alun Falconer's "script, the tight direction by Don Chaffey, and the performances of the principals", and noted, "although they (the performances) do not make "The Man Upstairs" extraordinary, they give this modest effort the sheen of honesty and quality."
- "The Man Upstairs (1958) - Trailers, Reviews, Synopsis, Showtimes and Cast - AllMovie". AllMovie.
- Action! Fifty Years in the Life of a Union. Published: 1983 (UK). Publisher: ACTT. ISBN 0 9508993 0 5. ACT Films Limited - Ralph Bond p81 (producer listed as Robert Dunbar)
- "The Man Upstairs". TV Guide.