The Magnificent Two
|The Magnificent Two|
British quad poster by Arnaldo Putzu
|Directed by||Cliff Owen|
|Produced by||Hugh Stewart|
|Written by||Dick Hills and Sid Green|
|Based on||a story by Michael Pertwee|
|Music by||Ron Goodwin|
|Edited by||Gerry Hambling|
|5 July 1967 (London) (UK) (premiere)|
Two British Action Men travelling salesmen are sent to the South American country of Parazuellia to sell their goods. During the train journey Eric accidentally opens a door leading to the death of the returning British educated Torres who is the figurehead of a revolutionary movement and a government secret policeman arresting him. Upon arrival in the city of Campo Grande, Eric is mistaken by the revolutionaries for Torres, and though they discover the death of the real Torres they pay Eric and Ernie to maintain Eric's impersonation of Torres to lead a revolution to oust a brutal dictator. However once the revolution is successful Eric gains an inflated opinion of himself.
- Eric Morecambe as Eric
- Ernie Wise as Ernie
- Margit Saad as Carla
- Virgilio Teixeira as Carillo
- Cecil Parker as British ambassador
- Isobel Black as Juanita
- Martin Benson as President Diaz
- Tyler Butterworth as Miguel - President's Younger Son
- Sandor Elès as Armandez
- Victor Maddern as Drunken soldier
- Michael Gover as Doctor
Time Out wrote, "in which the comedians' special talents are woefully misused. At least Cliff Owen keeps it pacy, making it the least awful of the trio of movies in which the duo failed to take the cinema by storm"; and TV Guide described it as a "fair comedy."
While it did well financially, it failed to reach the "top 20" highest-grossing films at the British box office for 1967.
- "The Magnificent Two (1967)". IMDb. 14 September 1967. Retrieved 17 October 2014.
- Fielder, Harry 'Aitch' & Saunders, Clive Extra, Extra, Read All About It!: My Life as a Film and TV Extra Andrews UK Limited, 24 Jul 2015
- "Magnificent Two, The". reelstreets.com. Retrieved 16 September 2017.
- "The Magnificent Two". Time Out London. Retrieved 17 October 2014.
- "The Magnificent Two". TV Guide. Retrieved 17 October 2014.