The Local is a multi-regional, European, English-language digital news publisher with local editions in Austria, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Norway, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland. Each site, while alike in appearance, has separate editorial teams, each focused on its respective market.
Type of site
|Owner||The Local Europe AB|
|Registration||Required for certain editions|
Coverage is purely domestic in each country, and includes current events, politics, business, sports and culture, as well as analysis and opinion.
The original Swedish edition began in 2004 as a weekly email newsletter. The German edition was launched in 2008 and Swiss edition in 2011. In 2013 the company opened offices in France, Spain and Italy. By January 2015 the company claimed to have over 4.5 million readers per month.
The Local's founders are Managing Director Paul Rapacioli, formerly a director of reed.co.uk and Managing Editor James Savage, formerly a radio journalist and PR consultant. Shareholders include the 6th AP fund and IQUBE.
The Local launched a Client Studio in 2014 to produce sponsored content (native advertising).
In late 2017, The Local launched a membership scheme, beginning with the Swedish edition. Throughout 2018, The Local's membership programme was rolled out to other editions including Germany, France, Italy, and Spain.
- The Local:About us
- "Toytown Germany Imprint". Toytown Germany. Retrieved 15 October 2013.
- Corporate site.
- Paying to Look Good at Work. BBC News. August 29, 2002
- Correspondent. Global Radio News.
- Swedish minister opens Europe’s answer to AAAS. EuroScience Open Forum (ESOF) 2004.
- Vad vill utlänningar läsar om Sverige, The Local?. Medievärlden. February 2, 2009.
- "The Locals chefredaktör blir innehållschef". www.resume.se (in Swedish). Retrieved 2019-01-22.
- "Join Us! Become a Member of The Local". www.thelocal.se. 2017-11-14. Retrieved 2019-01-22.
- "Next week we'll be asking you to become a Member of The Local. This is why". www.thelocal.de. 2018-03-01. Retrieved 2019-01-22.
- "Why The Local France will soon be asking you to become paying Members". www.thelocal.fr. 2018-03-13. Retrieved 2019-01-22.
- "Why The Local Italy will soon be asking you to become a paying Member". www.thelocal.it. 2018-08-28. Retrieved 2019-01-22.
- "The Local Spain rolls out Membership: Why it's a positive move for readers". www.thelocal.es. 2018-09-18. Retrieved 2019-01-22.
- De kan bli Årets Dagstidning Digitala Medier. Medievärlden. September 14, 2009.
- "HÃ¤r Ã¤r alla vinnarna av Tidskriftspriset 2018". Sveriges Tidskrifter (in Swedish). Retrieved 2019-01-22.
- "2018 Winners – Native Advertising AWARDS". Retrieved 2019-01-22.
- The Local – Europe's news in English
- The Local – France's news in English
- The Local – Germany's news in English
- The Local – Italy's news in English
- The Local – Norway's news in English
- The Local – Sweden's news in English
- The Local – Switzerland's news in English
- The Local – Austria's news in English
- The Local – Denmark's news in English
- The Local – Spain's news in English
- Toytown Germany
- English Forum