The Little Rascals Christmas Special
|The Little Rascals Christmas Special|
|Based on||Our Gang|
|Written by||Romeo Muller|
|Directed by||Charles Swenson|
Al Jocko Fann
Darla Hood Granson
|Theme music composer||Greig McRitchie|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Running time||24 minutes|
|Production company(s)||King World Productions|
Murakami Wolf Swenson
|Distributor||CBS Television Distribution|
|Original release||December 3, 1979|
Spanky (Philip Tanzini) and Porky (Robby Kiger)'s mother (Darla Hood) is a single mother during the Depression. Money is tight with very little left over to buy anything nice. When the boys overhear Mom talking on the phone about a Blue Comet, they think she is ordering for them the Blue Comet train set for the holidays. However, Mom wasn't talking about the train, but rather a vacuum cleaner. Realizing that she confused her sons, she exchanges a coat she had ordered for the train. When she gets sick and the boys realize the truth, they enlist the help of the gang to raise the money to get the coat back. Meanwhile, two neighborhood bullies steal the train set so now there are no gifts for the boys or their mom. A grouchy Salvation Army Santa (Jack Somack) arrives to spread cheer.
- Philip Tanzini – Spanky
- Jimmy Gatherum – Alfalfa
- Randi Kiger – Darla
- Al Jocko Fann – Stymie
- Robby Kiger – Porky
- Jack Somack – Santa
- Darla Hood Granson – Mom
- Stymie Beard – Mr. Klugger (The Butcher)
- Cliff Norton – Angry Man
- Frank Nelson – Sales Clerk
- Melville A. Levin – Delivery Man
- Hal Smith – Uncle Hominy (Alfalfa's Uncle)
- Naomi Lewis – Sales Lady
- Ike Eisenmann – Bully
- While initially airing on NBC, the special later went into television syndication, most recently airing in December 2009, on ABC Family, which later became Freeform.
- The Little Rascals mention that their club, the Reindeer Club, was originally the Woodchucks Club. This is a nod to the Our Gang short Anniversary Trouble.
- Two of the original Our Gang cast members, Darla Hood and Matthew "Stymie" Beard, provide voices. Hood portrays the mother of Spanky and Porky, while Beard plays the neighborhood butcher.
- Darla Hood's final role. She died nearly six months before this special aired.
- Following the release of this special, the animated cels were reused for 156 thirty second Public Service Announcements, featuring the Little Rascals. The principal voice actors reprised their roles for these commercials.