The Lickerish Quartet
The Lickerish Quartet (original UK title: Erotic Quartet) is a 1970 Italian erotic drama film produced and directed by Radley Metzger. It was filmed in Italian and later dubbed into English. The film was written by Metzger and Michael DeForrest.
|The Lickerish Quartet|
Original film poster
|Directed by||Radley Metzger|
|Produced by||Radley Metzger|
|Written by||Radley Metzger|
|Music by||Stelvio Cipriani|
|Edited by||Amedeo Salfa|
Peter Carsten Produktion
|Distributed by||Audubon Films|
In their castle, a wealthy couple (Frank Wolff and Erika Remberg) watch an erotic movie with their adult son, played by Paolo Turco. Later that evening, at a local carnival, they spot a woman (Silvana Venturelli) who appears to be one of the performers in the film, and decide to take her home with them. Although a subsequent viewing of the film calls the woman's identity into question, their house guest quickly succeeds in seducing the various members of the family, resulting in the revelation of certain facts, fears and desires.
The Lickerish Quartet received critical praise upon its release by many critics, especially Andy Warhol and Vincent Canby, as being one of the first films with graphic sex to have Hollywood-like production values. Vincent Canby of The New York Times noted: “I must say I find most of Mr. Metzger’s movies entertaining to watch. They are so, well, ripe with incredible color and décor and movement.” Andy Warhol, who helped begin the Golden Age of Porn with his 1969 film Blue Movie, was a fan of Metzger's film work and commented that The Lickerish Quartet, was “an outrageously kinky masterpiece”. However, Roger Ebert found the film to be pretentious and the plot convoluted.
- The Lickerish Quartet trailer.
- Sandmir, Richard (April 4, 2017). "Radley Metzger, Whose Artful Erotica Turned Explicit, Dies at 88". New York Times. Retrieved April 5, 2017.
- Gallagher, Steve (August 7, 2014). ""This is Softcore": The History of Radley Metzger". Filmmaker Magazine. Retrieved May 23, 2015.
- Metzger, Juliette; Feldman, Caryl; West, Ashley (April 2, 2017). "Press Release: Radley Metzger, pioneering filmmaker, dies at 88". The Rialto Report. Retrieved April 2, 2017.
- Staff (August 8, 2014). "The Lickerish Quartet". Film Society of Lincoln Center. Retrieved May 24, 2015.
- Ebert, Roger (April 29, 1971). "The Lickerish Quartet". Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved January 28, 2016.
- The Lickerish Quartet at MUBI (related to The Criterion Collection)
- The Lickerish Quartet on IMDb
- The Lickerish Quartet – Behind The Scenes
- The Lickerish Quartet – director Radley Metzger & Andy Warhol (1;2)