The Journalist (newspaper)
The Journalist (1884 - 1907) was the first successful American trade newspaper covering journalism. It was founded by Leander Richardson and Charles Alfred Byrne and published weekly, commencing with its first issue on March 22, 1884.
John Christian Freund became a partner in late 1884, and in January 1885, Charles J. Smith (former managing editor of the New York Star) bought the paper. Allan Forman was a long-time editor and owner of the paper.
The paper was merged into Editor & Publisher (founded in 1901) in 1907.
- Newspaperdom, Los Angeles Herald, Volume 25, Number 218, 6 May 1898
- Covering America: A Narrative History of a Nation's Journalism, p. 155
- Lee, Alfred McClung. The Daily Newspaper in America, Vol. 1, p. 228 (1937)
- (29 January 1921). Who Started the Journalist?, Editor & Publisher, p. 32
- The Eagle and Brooklyn, Volume 2, p. 1059 (1893)
- (15 March 1914). Editor Dead, Toronto Sunday World