The James Cancer Hospital
The Ohio State University Comprehensive Cancer Center – Arthur G. James Cancer Hospital and Richard J. Solove Research Institute (commonly shortened to just The James) is part of The Ohio State University and one of the 45 National Comprehensive Cancer hospitals. It is named after Arthur G. James, the founder, who desired a cancer hospital in Columbus, Ohio, United States. With the recent expansion in 2014, it is now the third largest cancer hospital in the United States.
|The James Cancer Hospital & Solove Research Institute|
|Location||Columbus, Ohio, USA|
|Hospital type||Cancer, research|
|Affiliated university||The Ohio State University|
|Network||The James Cancer Network, OSUMC|
|Emergency department||Cancer Emergency Department|
The hospital conducts treatments for cancer, and conducts research in the Solove Research Institute. The James receives donations through the Pelotonia biking event. Ohio State’s James Cancer Hospital recently received the highest nursing recognition with the prestigious magnet designation.
Its official abbreviation is OSUCCC – James.
The ground breaking for the hospital was July 10, 1984. It was completed January 16, 1990 but a water main break delayed the opening until July 9, 1990, when the first patient was admitted.
The hospital supports the Human Tissue Resource Network by housing a constitute organization called the Tissue Procurement Shared Resources.
New hospital and expansion
In December 2014, The James opened a new hospital. With more than 1.1 million square feet, and 21 floors, "the New James" is now the third largest cancer hospital in the country. The construction project broke ground in 2010 and was the largest development project in The Ohio State University's history. The cost of construction was $1.1 billion. Every inpatient floor specializes in specific cancer sub-types, has dedicated areas for education as well as a translational research lab.
The James also has its own 15 bed emergency department that is strictly for cancer patients. It is fully integrated with the OSU Wexner Medical Center ER Department.
- "Press Release Not Found". Cancer.osu.edu. Retrieved 2018-08-02.
- "The James Cancer Hospital and Solove Research Institute". The Ohio State University. Retrieved March 2, 2015.
- "NCCN Members". Retrieved August 23, 2011.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-12-03. Retrieved 2013-11-25.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "The James Cancer Hospital and Solove Research Institute". cancer.osu.edu. The Ohio State University. Retrieved 3 March 2015.
- "Cancer Emergency Services | OSUCCC James". Cancer.osu.edu. Retrieved 2018-08-02.