The Hound of the Baskervilles (1921 film)
The Hound of the Baskervilles is a 1921 British mystery film directed by Maurice Elvey and starring Eille Norwood, Catina Campbell and Rex McDougall. It is based on the Sherlock Holmes novel The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle. It was made by Stoll Pictures, Britain's largest film company at the time. It was the first British film adaptation of the famous novel.
|The Hound of the Baskervilles|
|Directed by||Maurice Elvey|
|Written by||Arthur Conan Doyle (novel) |
William J. Elliott
|Distributed by||Stoll Pictures (UK) |
According to a local legend, Sir Henry Baskerville is slated to become the next in his family line to fall victim to a ghostly hound.
- Eille Norwood - Sherlock Holmes
- Catina Campbell - Beryl Ducerne Stapleton
- Rex McDougall - Sir Henry Baskerville
- Lewis Gilbert - Roger Stapleton Baskerville
- Hubert Willis - Dr. Watson
- Allan Jeayes - Dr. James Mortimer
- Fred Raynham - Barrymore, the Butler
- Miss Walker - Mrs. Barrymore
- Madame d'Esterre - Mrs. Hudson
- Robert Vallis - Selden
Following the fifteen part The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes this was the first full-length film starring Eille Norwood as Holmes and Hubert Willis as Dr. Watson. It was the second film version of The Hound of the Baskervilles, following the 1914 German silent film Der Hund von Baskerville. Sometimes erroneously claimed to have filmed on Dartmoor, the film was actually shot near the village of Thursley.
Allmovie noted that the film sticks closely to the original story, but "doesn't even come close to the definitive 1939 talkie starring Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce -- for one thing, there are far too many title cards -- but it still has its moments, mostly involving moody shots of the moors."
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle himself enjoyed the film saying "Mr. Ellie Norwood, whose wonderful personification of Holmes has amazed me. On seeing him in The Hound of the Baskervilles I thought I had never seen anything more masterly."
- "The Hound of the Baskervilles (1921)". BFI.
- "The Hound of the Baskervilles (movie 1921)". arthur-conan-doyle.com.
- Workman, Christopher; Howarth, Troy (2016). Tome of Terror: Horror Films of the Silent Era. Midnight Marquee Press. p. 237. ISBN 978-1936168-68-2.
- Barnes, Alan (2011). Sherlock Holmes on Screen. Titan Books. pp. 76–77. ISBN 9780857687760.
- Janiss Garza. "The Hound of the Baskervilles (1920) - Maurice Elvey - Synopsis, Characteristics, Moods, Themes and Related - AllMovie". AllMovie.