The Horizontal Lieutenant
The Horizontal Lieutenant is a 1962 American romantic comedy war film, based on the 1961 novel The Bottletop Affair by Gordon Cotler who was a Japanese interpreter for US Army Intelligence during World War II. It is a military comedy about an unfortunate army intelligence lieutenant who finds himself isolated on a remote Japanese island army outpost during World War II. It stars Jim Hutton and Paula Prentiss and was directed by Richard Thorpe.
|The Horizontal Lieutenant|
theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Richard Thorpe|
|Produced by||Joe Pasternak|
|Written by||George Wells|
|Based on||novel The Bottletop Affair by Gordon Cotler|
|Music by||George Stoll|
|Cinematography||Robert J. Bronner|
|Edited by||Richard W. Farrell|
2nd Lt. Merle Wye (Hutton), an Army Intelligence officer stationed in Hawaii, is rendered horizontal when struck in the head by a foul ball while playing for his unit's baseball team. In the post hospital he is attracted to Lt. Molly Blue (Prentiss), a nurse he once knew in college. His superior (and manager of the team) orders the inept Merle to distant Rotohan, a secure island liberated some months before, ostensibly to relieve Lt. Billy Monk (Jack Carter), who has been unable to capture a Japanese holdout called Kobayashi suspected of pilfering military supplies. However the coach really wants Monk, a former professional baseball player, for his team. By claiming to be ordered to dangerous duty Merle tries to seduce Blue; when she discovers the ruse, she barely gives him the time of day.
On Rotohan, Merle and his Nisei interpreter (and lothario) Sgt. Roy Tada (Yoshio Yoda) team up with Monk to flush out the wily thief hiding in the hills. Using a reluctant Tada as a "spy" they discover that Kobayashi has been stealing the supplies, all creature comforts, to feed and clothe his pregnant girlfriend. But Merle is distracted when Blue is also assigned to his camp. With the Navy, in the form of obnoxious Cmdr. Jeremiah Hammerslag (Jim Backus), also hunting Kobayashi, Merle is threatened by his new superior, Col. Korotny (Charles McGraw), with another transfer if he does not capture Kobayashi soon—this time to an even more remote rock with only six other soldiers as company.
While romancing a local girl (Miyoshi Umeki), Tada discovers that Kobayashi is not even a soldier but a former circus performer hidden in a cave in the hills by the villagers. That night Kobayashi is to appear at a variety show staged by the locals to entertain the Americans. When Merle tries to arrest him, the agile Kobayashi stuns him using judo, knocking him horizontal again, and escapes. Col. Korotny tells Merle he is shipping out in the morning. During a drive in the hills to "say goodbye", Merle and Blue stumble on the cave, where Blue captures the acrobat after Merle once more becomes "the horizontal lieutenant". Merle is given a medal anyway and wins her heart.
- Jim Hutton as Lt. Merle Wye
- Paula Prentiss as Lt. Molly Blue
- Jack Carter as Lt. Billy Monk
- Jim Backus as Cdr. Jeremiah Hammerslag
- Charles McGraw as Col. Charles Korotny
- Miyoshi Umeki as Akiko
- Marty Ingels as Buckles
- Lloyd Kino as Sgt. Jess Yomura
- Linda Wong as Michido
- Yoshio Yoda as Sgt. Roy Tada
- Yuki Shimoda as Kobayashi
Comic book adaption
- Dell Movie Classic: The Horizontal Lieutenant (October 1962)
- The Eddie Mannix Ledger, Los Angeles: Margaret Herrick Library, Center for Motion Picture Study.
- The New York Times
- The Horizontal Lieutenant at Turner Classic Movies
- Every Hollywood Press Agent Dreams of a Story Like Hers. This Time If's True Hopper, Hedda. Chicago Daily Tribune (1923-1963) [Chicago, Ill] 22 Oct 1961: b18.
- Books of The Times By ORVILLE PRESCOTT. New York Times (1923-Current file) [New York, N.Y] 31 July 1959: 21.
- Young Jim Hutton Owner of Long Term Film Contract Tinee, Mae. Chicago Daily Tribune (1923-1963) [Chicago, Ill] 12 Nov 1961: f11.
- Tinee, M. (1961, Nov 12). Young jim hutton owner of long term film contract. Chicago Daily Tribune (1923-1963) Retrieved from https://search.proquest.com/docview/183061527
- Dell Movie Classic: The Horizontal Lieutenant at the Grand Comics Database
- Dell Movie Classic: The Horizontal Lieutenant at the Comic Book DB (archived from the original)