The Guardian (Charlottetown)
|Headquarters||165 Prince Street|
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island
The paper was originally launched in the 1870s as The Presbyterian and Evangelical Protestant Union, owned by Presbyterian minister Stephen G. Lawson. It adopted its current name in 1887.
After a succession of local owners, the newspaper was bought by Thomson Corporation in the 1950s. Southam Newspapers acquired the paper from Thomson in 1996, before being itself acquired by Canwest Global Communications in 2000. Canwest sold the paper to Transcontinental in 2002, before being sold to SaltWire Network, a newly formed parent company of The Chronicle Herald, in April 2017.
While the slogan of The Guardian for many years has been 'Covers the Island like the dew', it remains principally a Charlottetown publication, with the Journal Pioneer in Summerside to the west and The Eastern Graphic in Montague to the east. In 2010 the daily weekday circulation was approximately 18,000.
The Guardian is currently printed in Halifax.
- "Chronicle Herald buys all Atlantic Canadian Transcontinental papers". CBC News. Retrieved 13 April 2017.
- "Transcontinental sells The Guardian, Journal Pioneer". CBC News. Retrieved 13 April 2017.
- "The Chronicle Herald acquires Transcontinental Inc.'s newspapers, news websites and four printing plants in Atlantic Canada". The Chronicle Herald. Retrieved 13 April 2017.
- "Island Newspapers: Patriot". Robertson Library, University of Prince Edward Island. Retrieved 20 January 2015.