The Great Kiwi Bake Off
The Great Kiwi Bake Off is a New Zealand television baking competition based on The Great British Bake Off in which 12 amateur bakers compete in a series of baking challenges. The show's first episode was aired on 16 October 2018 on TVNZ 2. The show is hosted by Hayley Sproull and Madeleine Sami, with judges Dean Brettschneider and Sue Fleischl. The show, like other spinoffs of The Great British Bake Off, uses a similar style, format, and opening theme song to the British series. Like the British series, the show is followed by a recap special called An Extra Slice, hosted by Chris Parker, discussing the episode of the week and interviewing contestants who have been eliminated.
|The Great Kiwi Bake Off|
|Presented by||Hayley Sproull|
|Theme music composer||Tom Howe|
|Country of origin||New Zealand|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||18|
|Executive producer(s)||Emma White|
|Production location(s)||The Kelliher Estate, Puketutu Island|
|Running time||60–90 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Warner Bros. International Television Production|
|Original network||TVNZ 2|
|Original release||16 October 2018 –|
|Related shows||The Great British Bake Off |
The programme operates on a weekly elimination process to find the best all-round baker from the contestants who are all amateurs, where in each episode the bakers are tasked with different challenges: a signature bake, a technical bake, and a showstopper. The first season only included two of the three challenges with the exception of the finale. All three challenges were included during the second season. The bakes are critically examined by the judges who will then choose a "Star Baker" and a baker that is eliminated from the competition.
- Signature Challenge: This challenge allows the amateur bakers to show off their tried-and-tested recipes.
- Technical Challenge: This challenge shows who can follow minimal instructions and who also has the technical knowledge and experience to produce a finished product. The bakers are all given the same recipe and are not told the challenge beforehand. The finished product is ranked from worst to best with the judges not knowing who produced which bake.
- Showstopper Challenge: This challenge allows the bakers to show off their skills and talent with the judges looking for a bake with both a professional appearance and great taste.
|1||10||16 October 2018||18 December 2018||Annabel Coulter|
|2||8||3 November 2019||22 December 2019|
Season 1 (2018)
This season premiered on 16 October 2018 and featured four bakers in the finale instead of the typical three. The season was won by Annabel Coulter from Timaru. Runners-up were Stacey Johnsen, Jeff Poole, and Hannah Ward.
Season 2 (2019)
This season premiered on 3 November 2019.
- "The Great Kiwi Bake Off power rankings: Sweet tops and salty bottoms". The Spinoff. 23 October 2018. Retrieved 24 October 2018.
- Herald, Anna Murray Anna Murray is a reality TV junkie and columnist for The New Zealand (16 October 2018). "Anna Murray: The Great Kiwi Bake Off serves up delicious viewing". NZ Herald. ISSN 1170-0777. Retrieved 24 October 2018.
- "The Great Kiwi Bake Off - The Judges". tvnz. Retrieved 23 October 2018.
- "The Great Kiwi Bake Off - The Hosts". tvnz. Retrieved 23 October 2018.
- "The Great Kiwi Bake Off hosts and judges announced". Stuff. 4 July 2018. Retrieved 23 October 2018.