The Great British Bake Off (series 10)
The tenth series of The Great British Bake Off began on 27 August 2019, with this being the third series to be broadcast on Channel 4. It is presented by returning hosts Noel Fielding and Sandi Toksvig, and judged by returning judges Paul Hollywood and Prue Leith.
|The Great British Bake Off (series 10)|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of episodes||10|
|Original network||Channel 4|
|Original release||27 August –|
29 October 2019
|Alice Fevronia||28||Geography teacher||Essex|
|Amelia Le Bruin||24||Fashion designer||Halifax|
|Dan Chambers||32||Support worker||Rotherham|
|David Atherton||36||International health adviser||Whitby|
|Helena Garcia||40||Online project manager||Leeds|
|Jamie Finn||20||Part-time waiter||Surrey|
|Michael Chakraverty||26||Theatre manager/fitness instructor||Stratford-upon-Avon|
|Michelle Evans-Fecci||35||Print shop administrator||Tenby, Wales|
|Phil Thorne||56||HGV driver||Rainham|
|Priya O'Shea||34||Marketing consultant||Leicester|
|Rosie Brandreth-Poynter||28||Veterinary surgeon||Somerset|
|Steph Blackwell||28||Shop assistant||Chester|
- Baker was one of the judges' least favourite bakers that week, but was not eliminated.
- Baker was one of the judges' favourite bakers that week, but was not the Star Baker.
- Baker got through to the next round.
- Baker was eliminated.
- Baker was the Star Baker.
- Baker was a series runner-up.
- Baker was the series winner.
- Baker eliminated
- Star Baker
Episode 1: Cake
For the signature challenge, the bakers had to bake a fruit cake in the shape of their choice, with a significant amount of dried fruit, and lavish decoration. For the technical challenge set by Prue, the bakers had to bake six identical angel cake slices, with layers made of genoise sponge sandwiched with Italian meringue buttercream, topped with icing and feathered. For the showstopper challenge, the bakers baked the birthday cake they always dreamed of as a child.
(6 Angel Cake Slices)
|Alice||Gingerbread Fruit Cake Wreath||5th||Like a Child in a Sweetshop Cake|
|Amelia||Christmas Cake||4th||Carousel Birthday Cake|
|David||Squishy Squashy Fruit Cake||10th||Snakey Birthday Cakey|
|Dan||Jamaican Rum Cake||9th||Pirate Island Cake|
|Helena||Fruit Bat Cake||12th||Away with the Fairies Cake|
|Henry||Wood Street Cake||1st||Secret Woodland Cake|
|Jamie||Easter Simnel Cake||13th||Salted Caramel Schnauzer Birthday Cake|
|Michael||Cup of Chai Cake||11th||Treasure Chest Cake|
|Michelle||Bara Brith Teulu Ni (Our Family's Bara Brith)||6th||Tŷ Tylwyth Teg (Fairy House Cake)|
|Phil||Spiced Fruit Cake with Rum Glaze||8th||Retro Rocket Cake|
|Priya||Sunshine Fruit Cake||7th||Once Upon a Time Cake|
|Rosie||Spicy Chai Loaf||2nd||Magical Jungle Cake|
|Steph||Great Grandma's Fruit Cake||3rd||A Sundae on the Beach Cake|
Episode 2: Biscuits
For the signature challenge this week, the bakers were tasked to make 12 decorated chocolate biscuit bars. For the technical challenge, Paul tasked a "controversial" bake that was his dad's favourite - 12 fig rolls which were identical in shape and size. For the showstopper, the bakers were asked to create a 3D biscuit sculpture.
(12 Decorated Chocolate Biscuit Bars)
(12 Fig Rolls)
(3D Biscuit Sculpture)
|Alice||Honeycomb Peanut Mallow Bars||1st||Chocolate and Coconut New Zealand Lamb|
|Amelia||Pistachio, Almond & Raisin Nougat Biscuit Bars||9th||Swimming with Dolphins|
|David||Coco-nutty Chocolate Bars||2nd||Wedding Spray|
|Helena||Wicked Witch Fingers||12th||Caught in a Spider's Web|
|Henry||Coffee, Cardamom & Hazelnut Bars||6th||Chapel Organ|
|Jamie||Cherry Caramel Shortbread Biscuit Bars||11th||Biscuit Guitar|
|Michael||Lemon & Rosemary Biscuit Bars||4th||Hamish the Highland Cow|
|Michelle||Bakewell Bars||8th||Dewi y Ddraig Gymraeg (Dewi the Welsh Dragon)|
|Phil||Orange, Cranberry & White Chocolate Fudge Bars||3rd||Tina the Tortoise|
|Priya||Ruby Barfi Biscuit Bars||7th||The Beast of Rocky Mountain|
|Rosie||Virgin Mojito Biscuit Bars||5th||My Favourite Chicken – A Celebration of Legs|
|Steph||Chocolate, Caramel Macchiato Biscuit Bars||10th||Ginger the Cat|
Episode 3: Bread
For the signature challenge this week, the bakers were asked to make a Tear & Share loaf. For the technical challenge, Paul asked the bakers to make 8 burger baps, along with 4 veggie burgers to go inside half of them. For the showstopper challenge, the bakers were given the task to make a display of artistically scored loaves.
(Tear & Share Loaf)
(8 White Burger Baps & 4 Veggie Burgers)
(Decorative Loaf Display)
|Alice||Baklava Tear & Share||7th||Global Bread|
|Amelia||Chorizo Brunch Tear & Share||11th||Caterpillar Transformation|
|David||Cinnamon Swirl Tear & Share||2nd||Trio of African Masks|
|Helena||Frosted Cinnamon and Pecan Tear & Share||8th||Every Bread is Halloween|
|Henry||Chicken and Pesto Tear & Share||1st||Herb Garden|
|Michael||Keralan Star Bread Tear & Share||6th||Mediterranean Camp Fire|
|Michelle||Noson Gaws (Cheese Night) Tear & Share||5th||Gardd Ni (Our Garden)|
|Phil||Pancetta and Cheese Focaccia Tear & Share||10th||Winner's Wreath|
|Priya||Smokey Jalapeño Tear & Share||4th||Bird Boules|
|Rosie||Chilli and Manchego Tear & Share||9th||Bread Safari|
|Steph||Sun-Dried Tomato and Pesto Star Tear & Share||3rd||Hand-Tied Bouquet of Flowers|
Episode 4: Dairy
For the signature challenge this week, Paul and Prue tasked the bakers with a Dairy Cake, but the cake mixture needed to contain a cultured dairy product. For the technical challenge, Prue asked the bakers to make a difficult bake that dated back to the Tudor times, twelve Maids of Honour. For the showstopper challenge, the judges gave the bakers the task of making a display of milk-based Indian sweets known as Mishti.
(Cultured Dairy Cake)
(12 Maids of Honour)
(Display of Mishti)
|Alice||Leafy Yoghurt Cake||8th||Afternoon Tea|
|David||A Kick of Limoncello Cake||2nd||Flavours of India Mishti|
|Helena||Ghost Cake||9th||Ye Olde English Sweet Shoppe Mishti|
|Henry||Ode to a German Breakfast Cake||3rd||Seaside Mishti|
|Michael||Cheesecake Surprise||7th||Flag of India Mishti|
|Michelle||Homely Rhubarb Cake||5th||Home Comforts Mishti|
|Phil||Trucking Lovely Rose Cake||6th||A Corner of My Garden Mishti|
|Priya||Choc-chip Banana Cake||10th||Flavours of My Childhood Mishti|
|Rosie||A Good Dose of Limoncello Cake||4th||Cocktails & Canapés Mishti|
|Steph||Answer to Everything Cake||1st||Pink and Pretty Mishti|
Episode 5: The Roaring Twenties
For the signature challenge, the bakers were tasked to produce 4 custard pies which should be elaborately decorated with the theme of the 1920s. For the technical challenge, the bakers faced a difficult challenge set by Prue of deep-frying choux pastry to produce 18 Beignet Soufflés filled with raspberry jam and served with a zabaglione. For the showstopper challenge, the bakers were tasked to create a prohibition cocktail cake, with at least two tiers, in memory of the prohibition era in the United States.
(4 Custard Pies)
(18 Beignet Soufflés)
(Prohibition Era Cake)
|Alice||Chocolate & Orange Custard Pies||6th||Piña Colada Cake|
|David||Fancy Custards||9th||Amaretto Sour Cake|
|Helena||Lemon and Lavender Pies||1st||Vampire's Kiss Raspberry Vodka Cake|
|Henry||1920s Pies||3rd||White Russian Cake|
|Michael||Mango, Lime & Ginger Pies||8th||Brambling Cake|
|Michelle||Blueberry & White Chocolate Crème Brûlée Pies||7th||My Little Sister the Dancing Queen's Piña Colada Cake|
|Priya||Lemon & Raspberry Ripple Pies||2nd||Meena Colada Cake|
|Rosie||Little Blackberry Pies||5th||White Russian Cake|
|Steph||Zesty Citrus Custard Pies||4th||Sour Lime Piña Colada Cake|
Episode 6: Desserts
For the signature challenge this week, the bakers were asked to make a layered meringue cake with a minimum of three layers and 'large enough to share with friends'. For the technical challenge, Prue gave the bakers a particularly difficult task that tested the bakers precision, six identical layered Verrines. For showstopper challenge, the bakers were tasked with an explosive bake, a Celebratory Bombe.
(Layered Meringue Cake)
|Alice||Black Forest Meringue||1st||Tiramisu Bombe|
|David||Spiced Meringue Surprise||2nd||Delightful Bombe|
|Henry||Towering Meringue Cake||4th||Bonfire Bombe|
|Michael||Dark Chocolate Meringue Cake||6th||Black Forest Bombe|
|Priya||Family Favourite||7th||Summer Fruit Bombe|
|Rosie||Layers of Lime and Raspberry||5th||Ruby Bombe|
|Steph||Eton Mess||3rd||Mirror Bombe|
Episode 7: Festivals
For the signature challenge, the bakers were asked to make 24 buns with the theme of a festival or holiday from around the world. For the technical challenge, Paul tasked the bakers with a deep fried pastry treat traditionally served during the Italian Carnevale, 12 Sicilian Cassatelles. For the showstopper challenge, the bakers were set with the complex task of making a kek lapis Sarawak, a traditional layered Malaysian cake.
(24 Festival Buns)
(12 Sicilian Cassatelles)
(Kek Lapis Sarawak)
|Alice||Lemon, Blueberry & Almond Hot Cross Buns||6th||Chocolate, Orange and Salted Caramel Kaleidoscope Sarawak Style Layered Cake|
|David||Kozunak Plaits||2nd||Sarawak Style Layer Cake Sculpture|
|Henry||Chocolate Kardemummabullar||3rd||Elegant Present Box|
|Michael||Figgy Pudding Hot Cross Buns||5th||Jamaican Mule Sarawak Style Layer Cake|
|Rosie||Mardi Gras Finnish Semlor Peacock Festival Buns||1st||Rainbow Sarawak Style Layer Cake|
|Steph||Zest and Spice Hot Cross Buns||4th||Orange and Chai Spiced Revitalise Cake|
Episode 8: Pastries
For the signature challenge, the bakers were tasked to do a savoury twist on a usually sweet French Classic, Tarte Tatin. For the technical challenge, the bakers were given the challenging task of recreating a Moroccan Pie made from warka pastry (also known as brick pastry). For the showstopper challenge, the bakers were asked to create a vertical pie consisting of at least two separate pies.
(Savoury Tarte Tatin)
|Alice||Leek, Apple & Goat's Cheese Tarte Tatin||3rd||Apple Tree House Pie|
|David||Caramelly Carroty Tarte Tatin||1st||Whitby Fish Pie|
|Henry||Crab, Tomato & New Potato Tarte Tatin||5th||Chandelier Picnic Pie|
|Rosie||Shallot, Aubergine & Goat's Cheese Spiced Tarte Tatin||2nd||Rapunzel's Tower|
|Steph||Caramelised Onion & Goat's Cheese Tarte Tatin||4th||Curried Chickpea & Potato Carousel|
Episode 9: Pâtisserie (semi-final)
For the signature challenge, the bakers were tasked with making eight identically decorated domed tarts. For the technical challenge, Prue gave the bakers the task to construct a Gâteau Saint Honoré, a French classic with involves both choux and puff pastry, plus a large amount of cream to relate the week's theme. For the showstopper challenge, the bakers were given a very difficult task to make sugar glass cabinets, along with pâtisserie to appear inside them.
(8 Domed Tarts)
(Gâteau Saint Honoré)
(Sugar Glass Display Case)
|Alice||Mocha, Hazelnut & Orange Domed Tarts||4th||Save Our Oceans|
|David||Aperitif Domed Tarts||2nd||Greenhouse Growing Moss|
|Rosie||Lemon, Raspberry & Mint Domed Tarts||1st||Time with Family|
|Steph||Raspberry, Lemon & White Chocolate Domed Tarts||3rd||A Night at the Opera|
Episode 10: Final
For the final signature challenge, the remaining three bakers were tasked to create the ultimate chocolate cake that should be rich in chocolate and be beautifully decorated. For the final technical challenge which was set by Paul, the bakers were given the task to create six twice-baked Stilton Soufflés completed with biscuits. For the final showstopper challenge, the bakers were required to create a deceptive illusion picnic basket feast that composed of cakes, biscuits and enriched breads that were presented to look like something else.
(Ultimate Chocolate Cake)
(6 Stilton Soufflés)
(Illusion Picnic Basket Feast)
|Alice||Chocolate, Pear, Ginger and Maple Cake||2nd||End of the School Year Celebration Picnic|
|David||Chocolate, Armagnac and Prune Cake||1st||Peachy Pic-Nik|
|Steph||Black Forest Chocolate Cake||3rd||Picnic in the Park|
The first episode drew an overnight audience of 5.7 million, down 400,000 from the previous series, but with a higher audience share in its time slot than the previous launch at 30.6%. The overnight ratings for the final episode dropped by over half a million compared to the previous series with an average audience of 6.9 million viewers.
- "When does The Great British Bake Off 2019 start? Who are the contestants? Is there a trailer?". Radio Times. 17 August 2019.
- Methven, Nicola (16 August 2019). "Bake Off's Paul Hollywood and Prue Leith on what series 10 has in store". Daily Mirror.
- "The Great British Bake Off 2019: final – as it happened". Guardian. 29 October 2019. Retrieved 30 October 2019.
- Sutton, Megan (28 August 2019). "The Great British Bake Off announces big twist in first episode". Good Housekeeping.
- Wehrstedt, Lisa (1 September 2019). "Who is Alice Fevronia from Bake Off? Meet the GBBO 2019 contestant and geography teacher". Radio Times.
- "alice.fevronia". Instagram.
- Wehrstedt, Lisa (1 September 2019). "Who is Amelia Le Bruin from Bake Off? Meet the GBBO 2019 contestant with a northern soul". Radio Times.
- Nolan, Emma (27 August 2019). "How old is Bake Off's Dan Chambers and what is his day job?". Metro.
- David Atherton [@nomadbakerdavid] (3 October 2019). "I requested Wikipedia to change mine and Amelia's hometown from London to our actual Northern hometowns. Amelias was changed but mine still says London. I'm from WHITBY Wikipedia!" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "From volunteer nurse to Great British Bake Off winner: David Atherton". VSO International. 29 October 2019.
- Wehrstedt, Lisa (3 September 2019). "Who is Helena Garcia from The Great British Bake Off? Meet the Spanish-born 2019 contestant". Radio Times.
- Wehrstedt, Lisa (3 September 2019). "Who is Henry Bird from The Great British Bake Off? Meet the GBBO 2019 contestant and Durham student". Radio Times.
- "Jamie Finn: who is the Great British Bake Off 2019 contestant and part-time waiter?". iNews. 10 September 2019.
- Wehrstedt, Lisa (1 September 2019). "Who is Michael Chakraverty on The Great British Bake Off 2019? How old is the theatre manager?". Radio Times.
- Adams, Zoe (3 September 2019). "Who is Michelle Evans-Fecci on Bake Off? Contestant's husband, son and background revealed". Smooth Radio.
- Wehrstedt, Lisa (27 August 2019). "Who is Phil Thorne on The Great British Bake Off? Meet the GBBO 2019 contestant and biker". Radio Times.
- Wehrstedt, Lisa (27 August 2019). "Who is Priya O'Shea on The Great British Bake Off? Meet the future novelist and 2019 contestant". Radio Times.
- Adams, Zoe (3 September 2019). "Who is Rosie Brandreth-Poynter on Bake Off? GBBO star's job, husband and Instagram revealed". Smooth Radio.
- Wehrstedt, Lisa (1 September 2019). "Who is Steph Blackwell on The Great British Bake Off? Meet the contestant and her sourdough Sammy". Radio Times.
- Rosseinsky, Katie (28 August 2019). "Great British Bake Off launch episode loses 400,000 viewers". London Evening Standard.
- "Great British Bake Off series launch sheds 400,000 viewers". BT TV. 28 August 2019.
- Akingbad, Tobi (30 October 2019). "Great British Bake Off finale loses more than half a million viewers". Evening Standard.
- "Four-screen dashboard". Broadcasters' Audience Research Board. Retrieved 17 September 2019.