The Great American Baking Show
The Great American Baking Show is an American cooking competition television series and an adaptation of The Great British Bake Off (which is aired in the United States under the title The Great British Baking Show). Its first season aired on ABC under the title The Great Holiday Baking Show. The show is the second licensed adaptation of the GBBO format in the United States. In 2013, CBS produced one season of The American Baking Competition, which was hosted by Jeff Foxworthy, with Paul Hollywood and Mexican-American chef Marcela Valladolid as judges.
|The Great American Baking Show|
|Also known as||The Great Holiday Baking Show (season 1)|
|Created by||Richard McKerrow|
|Directed by||Andy Devonshire|
|Presented by||Nia Vardalos|
|Theme music composer||Tom Howe|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||5|
|No. of episodes||24 (4 unaired)|
|Executive producer(s)||Richard McKerrow|
|Production location(s)||Heatherden Hall, Pinewood Studios|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Love Productions USA|
|Picture format||720p (HDTV)|
|Audio format||5.1 surround sound|
|Original release||November 30, 2015 –|
|Related shows||The Great British Bake Off|
The American Baking Competition (2013)
The first two seasons were hosted by Nia Vardalos and Ian Gomez, with Mary Berry from the original GBBO series and American pastry chef Johnny Iuzzini as judges. The third season was hosted by cookbook author Ayesha Curry and former football player Anthony Adams. Iuzzini returned as judge and was joined by original GBBO judge Paul Hollywood. The season was pulled off schedule following sexual harassment allegations against judge Iuzzini, who was officially fired from the show and ABC. On May 4, 2018, the show was renewed for a fourth season.
On August 1, 2019, the show was renewed for a fifth season which premiered on December 12, 2019.
Hosts and judges
|1||4||November 30, 2015||December 21, 2015||Lauren Katz||Nicole Silva||3.97|
|2||8||December 1, 2016||January 12, 2017||Amanda Faber||Stephanie Chen||4.39|
|December 7, 2017||Vallery Lomas||Cindy Maliniak||3.84|
|4||6||December 6, 2018||December 20, 2018||Tina Zaccardi||Amanda Nguyen||3.44|
|5||December 12, 2019|
Season 1 (2015)
Season 1 aired under the title The Great Holiday Baking Show and marked a return of the GBBO format to American television after the cancellation of CBS' 2013 series The American Baking Competition. Six bakers participated in the first ABC season. The season was won by Lauren Katz, beating out Nicole Silva and Tim Samson in the finale.
Season 2 (2016–17)
Season 2 returned the following year as The Great American Baking Show with ten bakers and an eight-week competition. The season was won by Amanda Faber, with Stephanie Chen as the runner-up.
Season 3 (2017)
The third season began airing December 7, 2017 with a two-hour premiere. It is the first season hosted by Curry and Adams and for judge Hollywood who last appeared on the 2013 CBS version of the show. This season, baker Antoinette Love, withdrew following a family death, returned to the competition. The season was withdrawn from ABC's schedule on December 13, 2017 following allegations of sexual misconduct by Iuzzini. ABC announced that it would not air the remaining episodes. On December 21, 2017, the day the season finale would have been broadcast, ABC announced that Vallery Lomas won the competition with Cindy Maliniak and Molly Brodak finishing as runners-up.
Season 4 (2018)
The fourth season premiered December 6, 2018, under the title The Great American Baking Show: Holiday Edition. Adams returned for his second season as host, with former Spice Girls singer Emma Bunton as new host. Joining Paul Hollywood on the judging panel is American pastry chef and restaurateur, Sherry Yard. The season was won by Tina Zaccardi. Amanda Nguyen and Andrea Maranville finished as runners-up.
Season 5 (2019)
The fifth season premiered December 12, 2019, with all hosts, Emma Bunton and Spice Adams and judges, Paul Hollywood and Sherry Yard, returning for the second Holiday Edition.
The contestants entering the tent are Dana Commandatore, Sarita Gelner, Bianca Jackson, Carlos Marquina, Sally Newton, Tanya Clark Ott, Helen Spencer Pantazis, Marissa Troeschel, Alex Willis & and Friar, Brother Andrew
The first theme of the double episode was “Cake Week” which gave Alex Willis the Star Baker title and saw Helen Spencer Pantazis sent home. The Second episode was Bread Week with Brother Andrew as “Star Baker” and Carlos Marquis sent home.
- Wendholt Silva, Jill (7 December 2017). "Self-taught Kansas City baker competes on 'The Great American Baking Show'". Kansas City Star. Retrieved 8 December 2017.
- Denise Petski (20 October 2015). "UK Reality Hit 'Great British Bake Off' Getting Holiday-Themed Remake on ABC". Deadline Hollywood.
- Harry Fletcher. "Mary Berry is remaking The Great British Bake Off in the US for ABC". Digital Spy. Retrieved 21 October 2015.
- Dehnart, Andy (8 August 2016). "Exclusive: ABC's Baking Show will return with Mary Berry, and a new name". Reality Blurred.
- Barney, Chuck (September 21, 2017). "Ayesha Curry lands another big TV gig — this time with ABC". The Mercury News. Bay Area News Group. Retrieved October 13, 2017.
- "'The Great American Baking Show' Premieres Thursday, December 7". ABC. Archived from the original on 28 October 2017. Retrieved 27 October 2017.
- "ABC Pulls 'Great American Baking Show' Amid Johnny Iuzzini Sexual Harassment Claims". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2017-12-14.
- Erik Pedersen (December 13, 2017). "ABC Pulls 'The Great American Baking Show' & Axes Judge Johnny Iuzzini Amid Sexual Misconduct Allegations". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Media Corporation. Retrieved August 3, 2018.
- "Are you ready? Now taking applications for next season". Facebook. Retrieved 2018-07-17.
- "On Your Mark, Get Set, Bake! "The Great American Baking Show: Holiday Edition" Returns to ABC This December". The Futon Critic. August 1, 2019.
- "Great American Baking Show: ABC TV show - ratings (cancel or season 3?)". TV Series Finale. 13 January 2017.
- "Shows A-Z - great american baking show, the on abc". www.thefutoncritic.com. Futon Critic. Retrieved 2 December 2017.
- "US Bake Off is cancelled after sexual harassment allegations made towards judge Johnny Iuzzini". The Telegraph. December 14, 2017. Retrieved December 15, 2017.
- "'The Great American Baking Show' Season 3 Winner Announced | The Great American Baking Show". ABC. 21 December 2017.
- Pedersen, Erik (October 18, 2018). "'The Great American Baking Show: Holiday Edition': Premiere Date & Spicy New Host For ABC Competition Series". Deadline Hollywood.