The Gray Ghost (serial)
|The Gray Ghost|
|Directed by||Stuart Paton|
|Written by||Stuart Paton|
by Arthur Somers Roche
|Distributed by||Universal Film Manufacturing Co.|
|Language||Silent (English intertitles)|
- Harry Carter as The Gray Ghost
- Priscilla Dean as Morn Light
- Emory Johnson as Wade Hildreth
- Eddie Polo as Jean Marco
- Gypsy Hart as Cecilia
- Wilton Taylor as Ashby
- Gertrude Astor as Lady Gwendolyn
- Lew Short as Jerry Tyron (credited as Lou Short)
- Richard La Reno as Mr. Olmstead
- John Cook as John Reis
- T. D. Crittenden as Brenner Carlow
- J. Morris Foster as Fred Olmstead
- Francis McDonald as Williams
- Howard Crampton as William Arabin
- Sydney Deane as The Commissioner
- Charles Dorian as Jimmie Pelham of The Star
- Nigel De Brulier as Jacques
- Frank Tokunaga as Mora
- Burton Law as Bludso
- Dan Leighton as Brant
- The Bank Mystery
- The Mysterious Message
- The Warning
- The Fight
- The House of Mystery
- Caught In The Web
- The Double Floor
- The Pearl Necklace
- The Flaming Meteor
- The Poisoned Ring
- The Tightening Snare
- At Bay
- The Duel
- From Out of The Past
Like many American films of the time, The Gray Ghost was subject to cuts by city and state film censorship boards. The Chicago Board of Censors refused to issue a permit for Chapter 5 of the serial because it portrayed the methods of an organized band of criminals used in the robbery of a large jewelry store.
- Staff Writer (July 21, 1917). "'Gray Ghost' Gets Away With Rush". Moving Picture World. Vol. 33 no. 3. New York: Chalmers Publishing Company – via Internet Archive.
- Rainey, Buck (February 2010). Serials and Series: A World Filmography, 1912-1956. McFarland. p. 99. ISBN 978-0-7864-4702-2.
- Bennet, Carl (January 23, 2004). "Progressive Silent Film List: The Gray Ghost". Silent Era. Retrieved August 27, 2008.
- Pepper, Peter (June 16, 1917). "Eddie Polo". Moving Picture Weekly. Vol. 4 no. 18. p. 9.
- Staff Writer (July 21, 1917). "Episode Five of 'The Gray Ghost'". Moving Picture Weekly. Vol. 4 no. 23. p. 32.
- Staff Writer (September 8, 1917). "'The Gray Ghost', Episode 13". Moving Picture Weekly. Vol. 5 no. 4. p. 38.
- Howard, Marjorie (June 16, 1917). "Tools of 'The Gray Ghost'". Moving Picture Weekly. Vol. 4 no. 18. p. 25.
- "Official Cut-Outs by the Chicago Board of Censors". Exhibitors Herald. 5 (15): 33. October 6, 1917.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Gray Ghost (serial).|