The Giants of Thessaly
The Giants of Thessaly (Italian: I giganti della Tessaglia (Gli Argonauti), French: Le Géant de Thessalie) is a 1960 Italian-French adventure-fantasy film directed by Riccardo Freda. It is loosely based on the epic poem Argonautica by Apollonius Rhodius.
|The Giants of Thessaly|
|Directed by||Riccardo Freda|
|Produced by||Virgilio De Blasi|
|Music by||Carlo Rustichelli|
|Edited by||Otello Colangeli|
|Box office||₤408 million|
- Roland Carey as Jason
- Ziva Rodann as Creusa
- Massimo Girotti as Orfeo
- Alberto Farnese as Adrasto
- Nadine Sanders as Queen Gaia
- Luciano Marin as Euristeo
- Cathia Caro as Aglaia
- Alfredo Varelli as Argo
- Maria Teresa Vianello as Gaia's Sister
- Nando Tamberlani as Aglaia's Father
- Alberto Sorrentino as Licaone
- Paolo Gozlino as Laerte
- Raf Baldassarre as Antinoo
The Giants of Thessaly was released in Italy on 6 December 1960 where it was distributed by Filmar. It grossed a total of 408 million Italian lire domestically.
In a contemporary review, the Monthly Film Bulletin noted that the script "owes very little to the legend, instead stringing together a series of action highlights, settings and characters which, if anything, have even less consistency than the strip-cartoon formula to which they owe their inspiration." The review noted that the "scaling of the colossal statue is moderately spectacular, too. The rest, including the filtered colour, is sub-Bava, let down by indifferent acting, irrelevance (what on earth is Orpheus doing in the film?) unimpressive trick-work (the island monster) and abysmal dubbing."
- Curti 2017, p. 316.
- Curti 2017, p. 315.
- Roberto Poppi, Mario Pecorari. Dizionario del cinema italiano. I film. Gremese Editore, 2007. ISBN 8884405033.
- "Giants of Thessaly, The "(I Giganti della Tessaglia)"". Monthly Film Bulletin. Vol. 30 no. 348. British Film Institute. 1963. p. 146. ISSN 0027-0407.