The Gardens, Northern Territory
Darwin, Northern Territory
|Population||728 (2016 census)|
|• Density||404/km2 (1,048/sq mi)|
|Area||1.8 km2 (0.7 sq mi)|
|Location||2.2 km (1 mi) from Darwin City|
|LGA(s)||City of Darwin|
|Territory electorate(s)||Port Darwin|
This suburban name is derived from the Botanic Gardens which began with the appointment of Maurice Holtze in 1878 and has grown to have one of the largest known collections of palms. Holtze used the Gardens area to investigate the possibility of growing sugar cane and cotton in the Territory.
A small residential area adjacent to the Botanical Gardens was called Palmerston Gardens in 1968, but to avoid confusion with the ‘new’ Palmerston, the Palmerston appellation was discarded in 1984 when the suburb was officially named.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "The Gardens (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- "The Gardens". NT Atlas and Spatial Data Directory. Northern Territory Government. Retrieved 30 April 2019.
- "Darwin City Council Suburbs" (PDF). Place Names Committee. Northern Territory Government. Retrieved 30 April 2019.
Media related to The Gardens, Northern Territory at Wikimedia Commons