The Gambler from Natchez
The Gambler from Natchez is a 1954 American adventure film directed by Henry Levin and written by Gerald Drayson Adams and Irving Wallace. The film stars Dale Robertson, Debra Paget, Thomas Gomez, Lisa Daniels, Kevin McCarthy and Douglas Dick. The film was released on August 4, 1954, by 20th Century Fox.
|The Gambler from Natchez|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Henry Levin|
|Produced by||Leonard Goldstein|
|Screenplay by||Gerald Drayson Adams|
|Story by||Gerald Drayson Adams|
|Music by||Lionel Newman|
|Edited by||William B. Murphy|
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox|
Apart from his gambler father for four years, Vance Colby is summoned by him. On a riverboat, a German named Gottfried accuses him of cheating, also impugning his father's reputation, but when Vance's back is turned and Gottfried comes after him, riverboat captain Barbee's attractive daughter Melanie intervenes to save Vance.
While ashore, Vance comes to the aid of Yvette Rivage when her carriage's horse is lame. At her family manor, Araby, he meets her brother Andre and fiance Claude St. Germaine, who react harshly, also bringing up Vance's father's reputation as a cheat.
Vance discovers that his father's news was that he had won a half-interest in a new gambling vessel Rivage and St. Germaine were about to launch. Then he learns they had his dad killed, framing him by planting evidence that he had won unfairly. Vance's life is saved by Melanie a second time, and he also survives a duel with Nicholas Cadiz, shooting him in self-defense after Cadiz tries to use a hidden derringer.
Rivage engages Vance in a card game and loses everything, including Araby, but gallantly, Vance returns the estate's deed to a grateful Yvette. She invites him to stay and share Araby with her, but Vance has other plans, which include Melanie.
- Dale Robertson as Capt. Vance Colby
- Debra Paget as Melanie Barbee
- Thomas Gomez as Capt. Antoine Barbee
- Lisa Daniels as Ivette Rivage
- Kevin McCarthy as André Rivage
- Douglas Dick as Claude St. Germaine
- John Wengraf as Nicholas Cadiz
- Donald Randolph as Pierre Bonet
- Henri Letondal as Robert Renard
- Jay Novello as René Garonne
- Woody Strode as Josh
- "The Gambler from Natchez (1954) - Overview". TCM.com. Retrieved 2015-09-17.
- O. A. G. (1954-08-14). "Movie Review - The Gambler from Natchez - Gambler From Natchez' at the Globe". NYTimes.com. Retrieved 2015-09-17.