The Forsaken Land
The Forsaken Land (Sulanga Enu Pinisa) (Sinhala: සුළඟ එනු පිණිස) is a 2005 Sri Lankan drama film directed by Vimukthi Jayasundara and co-produced by Phillip Amril and Francisco Vilolobos. It stars Kaushalya Fernando and Mahendra Perera in lead roles along with Nilupuli Jayawardena and Hemasiri Liyanage. Music composed by Nadeeka Guruge. It was screened in the Un Certain Regard section at the 2005 Cannes Film Festival, where it won the Caméra d'Or. It is the 1,055th Sri Lankan film in the Sinhala cinema.
|The Forsaken Land|
Sulanga Enu Pinisa
සුළඟ එනු පිණිස
|Directed by||Vimukthi Jayasundara|
|Produced by||Phillip Amril |
|Written by||Vimukthi Jayasundara|
|Music by||Nadeeka Guruge|
|Edited by||Gisèle Rapp-Meichler|
The film received fairly positive reviews from critics. The film holds a 63% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, with an average rating of 5.8/10.
The film made history when it was selected to honored at the International Cannes Film Festival. It is only the second time where a Sri Lankan film has entered to the competitive section of the Cannes Film Festival, after Dr. Lester James Peries’ maiden Rekava contest at Cannes in 1957.
- "'The Forsaken Land'". Sunday Times. Retrieved 4 December 2019.
- "'Sulanga Enu Pinisa' flashes across Cannes for Lankan release". Sunday Times. Retrieved 4 December 2019.
- "Festival de Cannes: The Forsaken Land". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 12 December 2009.
- "Sri Lankan Screened Films". Sarasaviya. Retrieved 11 March 2017.
- "Sri Lanka Cinema History". National Film Corporation of Sri Lanka. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Vimukthi's Forsaken Land". Sunday Times. Retrieved 4 December 2019.
- "Vimukthi makes his name at Cannes debut". Sunday Times. Retrieved 4 December 2019.
- "Vimukthi makes it to Cannes". Sunday Times. Retrieved 4 December 2019.