The Etches Collection
The Etches Collection (formerly known as the Museum of Jurassic Marine Life) is a fossil museum in the village of Kimmeridge, Purbeck, Dorset, England. It is based on the lifetime collection of Steve Etches from the local area on the Jurassic Coast, a World Heritage Site, especially around Kimmeridge Bay and the Kimmeridge Ledges.
View of the building housing The Etches Collection from the main road in Kimmeridge
|Location||Kimmeridge, Dorset, United Kingdom|
|Architect||Kennedy O'Callagahan Architects|
The museum building was opened in 2016 at a cost of £5 million to house a collection of over 2,000 fossil specimens. Steve Etches had been collecting for over 30 years prior to the museum opening, and in this time he has amassed an important collection of fossils that form the basis of the collection. The collection includes examples of ammonite eggs. The museum is considered world-class.
- "The Etches Collection, Museum of Jurassic Marine Life". Kennedy O'Callagahan Architects. Retrieved 22 August 2017.
- "The Etches Collection, Museum of Jurassic Marine Life". TripAdvisor. Retrieved 22 August 2017.
- Williams, Matt (February 2017). "The Etches Collection, Kimmeridge, Dorset". Museums Journal. 117 (2). UK: Museums Association. pp. 52–55.
- "New museum at Kimmeridge for Etches Collection of fossils". BBC News. UK: BBC. 21 October 2016. Retrieved 22 August 2017.
- Shaw, Alice (12 August 2016). "Amateur fossil hunter who spent 30 years amassing 2,000 specimens wins grant to build £5m Jurassic Coast museum". Daily Telegraph. UK. Retrieved 22 August 2017.
- Etches, Steve; Clarke, Jane; Callomon, John (October 2008). "Ammonite eggs and ammonitellae from the Kimmeridge Clay Formation (Upper Jurassic) of Dorset, England". Lethaia. 42 (2): 204–217. doi:10.1111/j.1502-3931.2008.00133.x.
- "Fossil fever: exploring Dorset's Jurassic Coast with Steve Etches". The Guardian. UK. 4 November 2016. Retrieved 22 August 2017.
- The Etches Collection on Facebook.
- The Etches Collection on Twitter
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Etches Collection.|