The Edge (Malaysia)
The Edge Media Group is the publisher of leading business and financial publications in Malaysia and Singapore. Its portfolio includes:
- The Edge Malaysia – the country's best-selling and award-winning business and investment weekly recognised for its timely, insightful and in-depth reports that have found a loyal following in Malaysia's corporate captains, key decision makers and opinion influencers.
|Type||Daily & Weekly newspaper|
|Owner(s)||The Edge Communications Sdn Bhd|
|Headquarters||Level 3, Menara KLK, No. 1, Jalan PJU 7/6, Mutiara Damansara, 47810 Petaling Jaya, Selangor Darul Ehsan|
Available in both print and digital formats, The Edge Malaysia hit the streets in 1994.
Distributed with The Edge Malaysia are regular pull-outs on property, lifestyle, young entrepreneurs, personal wealth and small-and-medium-sized enterprises. haven, a bi-monthly magazine on interiors, is also distributed free with The Edge Malaysia.
- The Edge Singapore – Launched in 2002, the thorough and intelligent analysis in the weekly has made it the indispensable read amongst industry leaders in the financial hub of Southeast Asia. The Edge Singapore is available in both print and digital formats and has regular pullouts on property, lifestyle, entrepreneurs and personal wealth.
- The Edge Financial Daily – Published Monday to Friday in Malaysia, The Edge Financial Daily captures the latest and relevant news, data and research as they unfold. Besides complementing the in-depth reports in The Edge Malaysia, The Edge Financial Daily also provides timely insight into and the fundamental assessment of Stocks with Momentum as highlighted at www.theedgemarkets.com. The Edge Property was recently introduced as a weekly pullout in The Edge Financial Daily every Friday and is also distributed separately at selected points in the Klang Valley.
- www.theedgemarkets.com – A FREE website with the latest business and financial news, data and analytics on the Malaysian and Singaporean financial markets to help the man on the street make better decisions in all other investments besides property.
- www.theedgeproperty.com – Introduced in May 2015, the comprehensive FREE property portal helps users make better decisions on all things property in Malaysia and Singapore by empowering them with proprietary news, research, data, analytics and tools. It is also available as an app on Apple IOS and Android.
- www.themalaysianinsider.com – A Malaysian news portal that has garnered a strong and eclectic readership with its unvarnished take on the issues of the day, politics, business, lifestyle, sports and entertainment.
- The Edge Galerie – An art initiative to promote Malaysian and Southeast Asian art through auctions and art shows.
- BFM Radio – Malaysia's only independent radio station focused on business news and current affairs.
On 24 July 2015, the Malaysian government suspended the publishing license of the Edge media group's two print publications, the Edge Weekly and the Edge Financial News, alleging that their coverage of the 1Malaysia Development Berhad threatened the country's national security and public order. The Edge's print publications was suspended for three months, beginning on 27 July 2015. The suspension of The Edge newspapers was criticized by several opposition politicians, the Institute of Journalists Malaysia, and business leaders including the CIMB Group chairman Nazir Razak and the Air Asia executive Tony Fernandes. On 27 July, The Edge filed a judicial review challenging the ban.
The Edge Media Group consists of the Edge Communications Sdn Bhd, which publishes the following publications: The Edge Malaysia, The Edge Financial Daily, Personal Money, and haven. The Edge also publishes a Singaporean-based weekly publication called The Edge Singapore. In addition, The Edge Media Group also consists of the website www.theedgemarkets.com, the online newspaper Malaysian Insider, the online Edge Review, the trading website www.EdgeWiz.com, the radio station BFM, the art gallery The Edge Galerie, and the events management company Pepper Events.
The Edge Malaysia
The Edge Malaysia is Malaysia's best-selling and award-winning business and investment weekly recognized for its timely, independent and insightful reports that have found a loyal following in the country's corporate captains, key decision makers and opinion influencers.
Available in both print and digital formats, The Edge Malaysia was The Edge Media Group's maiden publication and hit the streets in 1994.
Sections within The Edge Malaysia
- Corporate provides readers with exclusive breaking news, detailed analysis and in-depth commentaries on latest developments on the economy and corporate sector.
- Capital looks into the developments of the stock market and keeps you abreast on stocks, which are in and out of favour. Apart from fundamentals, technical chartists provide investors with an alternative strategy to invest in the stock market.
- Forum for discussions and opinions on anything and everything from politics, economy to business.
Pullouts within The Edge Malaysia
- City & Country: A comprehensive coverage of local and regional real estate & property news for residents and investors.
- Options: From fashion, grooming, health & fitness, Options offer a discerning choice in executive lifestyle.
- Personal Wealth: A broad and timely coverage in the investing, personal finance, wealth management and financial planning space
- #edGY: A monthly pullout targeted at Gen-Y readers, #edGY showcases young entrepreneurs, professionals, startups and lifestyle in Malaysia
- haven: A bi-monthly magazine on interiors and gardening, haven keeps readers connected to the world's evolving architectural and interior design trends.
haven is distributed free with The Edge Malaysia in the first week of February, April, June, August, October and December.
Introduced in October 2014, www.theedgemarkets.com is the main website of The Edge Media Group and consolidates the previous news websites www.theedgemalaysia.com and www.theedgesingapore.com by The Edge Communications Sdn Bhd and The Edge Publishing Pte Ltd.
www.theedgemarkets.com helps its readers to make better business and investment decisions by empowering them with the latest news, data and financial analytics for FREE.
Key features of www.theedgemarkets.com include:
- Proprietary news from our team of journalists in Malaysia and Singapore
- Business & markets news from the region from our media partners in Indonesia, the Philippines, Thailand, Hong Kong and China
- A Market's Widget which sits on our home page, allows access to your investing essentials all in one handy toolbar. This includes:
- Stocks with Momentum – It is a list of stocks that are showing a build-up in trading volume on the back of rising share prices. The stock list is generated by 2.30pm of every trading day using a proprietary algorithm licensed from Anticipatory Analytics Sdn Bhd.
- Tong's portfolio – is an investment portfolio that actually buys stocks based on Insider Asia's Stock of The Day recommendation.
- FBM KLCI – Information such as the index performance, volume, active stocks, Top Gainers and Top Losers on The FTSE Bursa Malaysia Kuala Lumpur Composite Index is available here.
- Daily and weekly updates on the financial market where participants can issue new debt, known as the primary market, or buy and sell debt securities, known as the secondary market.
- Stock search – to find the stocks you are looking for
- Historical financial data on every company listed on Bursa Malaysia (Bursa) and Singapore Exchange (SGX).
- Tools to compare the financial and stock price performances of all Bursa and SGX companies with their industry peers and any other Bursa and SGX companies.
- Assessment of the fundamental valuation of companies, their risks and those that are likely to undertake corporate exercises.
- Insider Asia Stock Pick of the Day by Asia Analytica Sdn Bhd, a licensed investment adviser in Malaysia.
- Stocks Watch Lists
- Direct links to brokerage firms and banks to execute trades.
An app of the website is available on both Google Play and iOS App Store for smartphones.
Introduced in May 2015, www.theedgeproperty.com is the property website of The Edge Media Group.
The website is designed to help users make better decisions on all things property by empowering them with property news, data and analytics for FREE.
The key features of www.theedgeproperty.com are:
- Breaking news and research from our journalists and analysts in Malaysia and Singapore
- Property-related news from our media partners in the region
- Historical transactions and rental data on properties in Malaysia & Singapore
- Tools that enable a comparison of transacted price and rental performances of property
- Identification of property hotspots by location and property type
- Property watchlist to track your preferred property by project or location
- Desktop reference price tool that provides an indicative fair value of property – the methodology is endorsed by a licensed valuer in Singapore
- Listings of properties on the secondary market in Malaysia and Singapore
- Property developers’ new launches.
An app of the website is available on both Google Play and iOS App Store.
The Edge Financial Daily
Launched in 2007 by The Edge Communications Sdn Bhd, The Edge Financial Daily acts as a standalone daily business paper which complements its weekly sister publication. Published Mondays to Fridays, The Edge Financial Daily provides business news reporting and articles with some key local insights and global perspectives. It is distributed mainly in the Klang Valley as well as other key market centres.
The Edge Malaysia is audited by the Audit Bureau of Circulations. As of January 2014, it has an approximate circulation of 22,572. The Edge Malaysia caters to corporate executives and the general public with interest in the Malaysian financial market and is widely distributed nationwide via newsstands.
The Edge has won publishing awards such as Excellence in Newspapers 2003 by the Society of Publishers in Asia (SOPA)
- "Malaysia suspends newspaper over prejudicial 1MDB reports". Asia Times. 24 July 2015. Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- "About Us". Malaysia Orders Suspension of Two Publications. Retrieved 31 July 2015.
- "Lift the suspensions of The Edge Malaysia and The Edge Financial Daily". The Malay Mail. 25 July 2015. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- "Malaysian PM Najib's brother condemns The Edge's suspension". AsiaOne. 25 July 2015. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- "Malaysian media The Edge files for judicial review over ban". The Straits Times. 27 July 2015. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- "About Us". The Edge Markets. 2014-10-07. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- "January 2014 to June 2014 ABC Circulation Figures" (PDF). Audit Bureau of Circulations Malaysia. Retrieved 29 July 2015.