The Drum (TV program)
The Drum is an Australian current affairs and news analysis program hosted by Julia Baird and Ellen Fanning. The program airs in the primetime slot of 6:00 pm weekdays on ABC TV and is aired later on ABC News Channel at 7:00 pm AEST.
|Genre||News, current affairs, politics|
|Presented by||Julia Baird & Ellen Fanning|
|Country of origin||Australia|
|Production location(s)||Ultimo Studios, Sydney|
|Running time||1 Hour|
|Picture format||576i (SDTV)|
|Audio format||Dolby Digital|
|Original release||23 July 2010 –|
The program is broadcast nationally across Australia, live from the ABC's headquarters in Sydney, with a special "week in review" episode broadcast on Saturday evening. It was also streamed live on iview, and broadcast across the Asia/Pacific region on the ABC's international channel, ABC Australia.
The program brings together a panel of experts and opinion-leaders to discuss the key issues gripping or confounding Australia.
The program premiered in 2010 with the launch of the ABC's 24 hour news channel. In May 2014, The Drum moved from the ABC News Channel to the ABC's primary channel with a new look, new timeslot of 5:30 pm, and a new 30-minute format.
In January 2019 the program was relaunched again, moving to the prime timeslot of 6pm on ABC TV and 7:00 pm on ABC News. The relaunch was seen as a push to take on commercial rivals in the prime timeslot, and the show was given a new set and look, and a new hour–long format.
- Knox, David (7 April 2014). "Bumped: The Drum moving to ABC1". TV Tonight. Retrieved 21 December 2016.
- Lallo, Michael (27 January 2019). "ABC takes on commercial big guns with 'steroid'-enhanced panel show". SMH. Retrieved 4 February 2019.
- Mathieson, Craig (2 May 2019). "The Drum is just what this election campaign needs". SMH. Retrieved 2 May 2019.
- ABC announces the line-up for ABC News 24 The Australian, 21 July 2010
- 24-hour party people The Australian, 3 July 2010