The Double Man (1967 film)
The Double Man is a 1967 British spy film directed by Franklin Schaffner. Its plot is very loosely based on the critically acclaimed 1958 novel Legacy of a Spy by Henry S. Maxfield. As in the novel, much of the action takes place in the Austrian Alps. The film stars Yul Brynner as a CIA agent investigating his son's fatal "accident": although he learns a few things from others, he slowly is convinced something else is happening and discovers that the Russian plan is to put another agent looking like him in place.
|The Double Man|
|Directed by||Franklin J. Schaffner|
|Written by||Alfred Hayes|
|Music by||Ernie Freeman|
|Cinematography||Denys N. Coop|
|Edited by||Richard Best|
Albion Film Corp.
|Distributed by||Warner Bros.|
- Yul Brynner as Dan Slater / Kalmar
- Britt Ekland as Gina
- Clive Revill as Frank Wheatley
- Anton Diffring as Berthold
- Moira Lister as Mrs. Carrington
- Lloyd Nolan as Edwards
- George Mikell as Max
- Brandon Brady as Gregori
- Julia Arnall as Anna
- David Bauer as Miller
- Ronald Radd as General
- Kenneth J. Warren as Police Chief
- David Healy as Halstead
- Carl Jaffe as Police Surgeon
- Douglas Muir as Wilfred
In The New York Times, Renata Adler found it "a modest third-rate film...But the plotting is tight and Mr. Brynner looks exotic and stony enough to keep one's mind off the title; when the denouement comes it is a moderate surprise;" while more recently, Cinema Retro called it "one of the better spy films of the era thanks in no small part to the direction of Franklin J. Schaffner."
- "The Double Man (1967)". BFI.
- "The Double Man (1968) - Screenplay Info - TCM.com". Turner Classic Movies.
- "The Double Man (1968) - Articles - TCM.com". Turner Classic Movies.
- "The Double Man (1967) - Franklin J. Schaffner - Synopsis, Characteristics, Moods, Themes and Related". AllMovie.
- Adler, Renata (2 May 1968). "Screen: Spy With a Mission in the Austrian Tyrol:Yul Brynner Stars in 'The Double Man' 3 Other Films Open at Theaters Here" – via NYTimes.com.
- "DVD REVIEW: "THE DOUBLE MAN" (1967) STARRING YUL BRYNNER AND BRITT EKLAND, WARNER ARCHIVE RELEASE - Cinema Retro". cinemaretro.com.