The Desert Sun
|Headquarters||750 N. Gene Autry Trail|
Palm Springs, CA
|Free online archives||cdnc.ucr.edu (1934–1989)|
First issued on August 5, 1927, as a weekly six-page newspaper, The Desert Sun grew with the desert communities. It covers local, state, national and world news, and has developed a variety of sections over time.
The newspaper began to publish six days a week in 1948 and had their first Sunday edition on September 8, 1991. Their circulation to date is 50,000 and their distribution range is in regional communities from Beaumont to Twentynine Palms to the Salton Sea.
The Desert Sun's headquarters are in Palm Springs, in an office complex built in 1991 to replace a smaller building.
The Desert Sun publishes the Desert Post Weekly, a variety entertainment paper available on every Thursday in the distribution range, as well as city-specific publications The Indio Sun, The La Quinta Sun, The Palm Springs Weekend, The Palm Desert Sun and The Cathedral City Sun.
In 2010, the second page of the primary section is known as "7 by 7:30AM", to focus on the editor's selected seven most important stories of the day. The namesake was to estimate how long it takes to read the second page in half an hour (from 7:00 AM to 7:30 AM).
Greg Burton served as executive editor of the paper from 2011–2018, before leaving to become executive editor of The Arizona Republic. As of October 8, 2018, the executive editor became Julie Makinen. Makinen previously worked for The Washington Post, International New York Times, and L.A. Times, where she served as film editor and Beijing Bureau chief.
- DiPierro, Amy. "Julie Makinen named top editor of Desert Sun". Desert Sun. Retrieved 2019-10-01.