The Crimson City
The Crimson City (1928) is an American silent drama film produced by Warner Bros. written by Anthony Coldeway and directed by Archie Mayo. Actors include Myrna Loy, Anna May Wong, Sōjin Kamiyama, John Miljan, Leila Hyams and Richard Tucker. The film was released with a Vitaphone soundtrack with a music score and sound effects. The film was released by Warner Brothers Pictures on 7 April 1928.
|The Crimson City|
theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Archie Mayo|
|Written by||Anthony Coldeway(orig. story & scenario)|
James A. Starr(intertitles)
Anna May Wong
|Distributed by||Warner Bros.|
|6 reels; at 5,388 feet|
|Language||Silent film (English intertitles)|
The story centers on an Asian woman named Onoto (Loy), who is rescued from slavery by a fugitive of European ancestry named Gregory Kent (Miljan). They fall in love, but prevailing mores about race doom the romance. Onoto leaves Kent so that he may marry another (Hyams).
- "Movie Reviews". nytimes.com. Retrieved 13 July 2017.
- "The Crimson City (1928)". imdb.com. Retrieved 13 July 2017.
- "The Crimson City / Archie Mayo [motion picture] : Bibliographic Record Description :". Performing Arts Encyclopedia. Library of Congress. 2016-06-14. Archived from the original on 2016-07-11. Retrieved 13 July 2017.
- Rohter, Larry (4 May 2010). "The Full 'Metropolis'". Retrieved 13 July 2017 – via NYTimes.com.
- "Silent Era : Progressive Silent Film List". www.silentera.com. Retrieved 13 July 2017.
- The Crimson City on IMDb
- The Crimson City synopsis at AllMovie
- lantern slide plate of the film
- lobby poster