The Cresta Blanca Hollywood Players
The Cresta Blanca Hollywood Players (often referred to as just Hollywood Players) was a dramatic anthology series on radio in the United States. It was broadcast on CBS September 3, 1946 - February 26, 1947.
|Other names||Hollywood Players|
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Directed by||Don Clark|
|Original release||September 3, 1946 – February 26, 1947|
|Sponsored by||Cresta Blanca Wines|
Material presented on the show came from "hit movies, stage successes, best-seller novels and short stories, with each star selecting something in which he or she had appeared or wanted to appear." Productions included "Golden Boy," "Elizabeth the Queen," "Fifth Avenue Girl" and "Rebecca."
Except for the selection of material by stars, Hollywood Players' format was much like that of a number of other radio programs of its time. A 1946 article in the trade publication Billboard quoted one advertising agency person who included Hollywood Players among a group of "more would-be Lux Radio Theaters than ever." Radio historian John Dunning wrote, "The series might have had a longer run but for the glut of similar Hollywood shows then on the networks."
Hollywood Players had a repertory structure. Movie stars Claudette Colbert, Bette Davis, Joan Fontaine, John Garfield, Paulette Goddard, Gene Kelly and Gregory Peck were featured, with each appearing several times over the program's weeks on the air. The group was promoted as "the greatest galaxy of star names as program regulars in radio history."
- Reinehr, Robert C. and Swartz, Jon D. (2008). The A to Z of Old-Time Radio. Scarecrow Press, Inc. ISBN 978-0-8108-7616-3. P. 126.
- Dunning, John (1998). On the Air: The Encyclopedia of Old-Time Radio (Revised ed.). New York, NY: Oxford University Press. p. 184. ISBN 978-0-19-507678-3. Retrieved 2019-09-26.
- "Radio Dreams Up Drama Series With Six Top Hollywood Names". The Montreal Gazette. August 16, 1946. Retrieved 3 September 2014.
- "WJAS ad". The Pittsburgh Press. October 1, 1946. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- "N.Y. Guest Shots on Upbeat". Billboard. October 19, 1946. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- Nott, Robert (2003). He Ran All the Way: A Biography of John Garfield. Proscenium Publishers, Inc. ISBN 0-87910-985-8. P. 346.
- "Main Street" (PDF). Radio Daily. September 19, 1946. Retrieved 4 September 2014.
- Dunning, John. (1976). Tune in Yesterday: The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Old-Time Radio, 1925-1976. Prentice-Hall, Inc. ISBN 0-13-932616-2. Pp. 283-284.
- Molyneaux, Gerard (1995), Gregory Peck: A Bio-bibliography. Greenwood Press. ISBN 0-313-28668-X. P. 214.
- Capua, Michelangelo (2013). Janet Leigh: A Biography. McFarland & Company, Inc. ISBN 978-0-7864-7022-8. P. 228
- Alicoate, Jack, Ed. (1947). The 1947 Radio Annual. Radio Daily Corp. P. 896W.
- "Cresta Blanca (see Hollywood Players)". OTRRpedia. Old Time Radio Researchers Group. Retrieved 3 September 2014.