The Christine Jorgensen Story
The Christine Jorgensen Story is a 1970 American drama film and a fictionalized biographical film about trans woman Christine Jorgensen. While the overall premise of the film is accurate, many of the details are fictionalized for the continuity of the film. It was directed by Irving Rapper and based on Christine Jorgensen's autobiography.
|The Christine Jorgensen Story|
The Christine Jorgensen Story film poster.
|Directed by||Irving Rapper|
|Produced by||Edward Small|
|Written by||Robert E. Kent|
Ellis St Joseph
|Based on||Christine Jorgensen, a Personal Autobiography|
Quinn K. Redeker
|Music by||Paul Sawtell|
|Cinematography||Jacques R. Marquette|
|Edited by||R. A. Radecki|
|Distributed by||United Artists|
|Budget||approx $1 million|
|Box office||$1.5 million (US/ Canada rentals)|
A film based on the book was proposed in 1960. Edward Small bought the film rights in 1968. Jorgensen later claimed under the contract she would be entitled to 10% of the gross and 3.5% of the budget.
Jorgensen later unsuccessfully tried to get a restraining order to stop Small's estate from exploiting the film, claiming Small diverted $100,000 owed to her for his own use. Jorgensen said she was worried United Artists would exploit the film as a B movie.
- Perlman, Jeffrey (3 Sep 1977). "AIMED AT FILM PRODUCER'S ESTATE: Christine Jorgensen Denied Court Order". Los Angeles Times. p. oc10.
- "Big Rental Films of 1970", Variety, 6 January 1971 p 11
- Markoutsas, Elaine (14 Jan 1979). "Christine Jorgensen celebrates 26 years as a woman". Chicago Tribune. p. k3.
- Scheuer, Philip K (29 Jan 1960). "Type Casting Given New Twist by Duo: Players Picked City by City; Rosenda Monteros in 'Seven'". Los Angeles Times. p. A7.
- Martin, Betty (4 Oct 1968). "Miss Jorgensen's Story Sold". Los Angeles Times. p. h15.
- Kramer, Carol (26 July 1970). "Miss Jorgensen Operates On a Sense of Humor". Chicago Tribune. p. f1.
- "Youth, 18, Accepts 'Christine' Role". Los Angeles Times. 16 Oct 1969. p. d13.
- Thomas, Kevin (24 Apr 1970). "The Problems of Directing 'Christine': Rapper Directs 'Christine'". Los Angeles Times. p. h1.
- Gary Arnold (13 July 1970). "'Christine': Film". The Washington Post, Times Herald. p. C5.
- ROGER GREENSPUN (25 July 1970). "Screen: 'You Can't Win' Em All' Proves a Cliche: Collinson's Caper Film Written by Gordon Story of a Sex Change Also Opens Here". New York Times. p. 12.
- Malcolm, Derek (17 Sep 1970). "Has anybody here seen Kelly?". The Guardian. London (UK). p. 8.
- "Notes on People". New York Times. 8 Sep 1977. p. 62.