The Captain's Table
The Captain's Table is a 1959 British comedy film directed by Jack Lee from a novel by Richard Gordon. It stars John Gregson, Donald Sinden, Peggy Cummins and Nadia Gray, and featured Maurice Denham, Joan Sims, John Le Mesurier, Richard Wattis and Reginald Beckwith in leading supporting roles.
|The Captain's Table (1959)|
|Directed by||Jack Lee|
|Produced by||Joseph Janni|
|Written by||Bryan Forbes|
Richard Gordon (novel)
|Music by||Frank Cordell|
|Edited by||Frederick Wilson|
|Distributed by||Rank Organisation|
|6 January 1959|
After serving all his working life with the South Star line, exclusively in cargo ships, Albert Ebbs is finally given command (albeit temporarily) of the SS Queen Adelaide, a cruise liner sailing from London to Sydney. An excellent seaman, he finds that he now has many social obligations that he does not have the skills to fulfil. He must preside at the captain's table, host cocktail parties, judge beauty contests and dance with the lady passengers. He must also cope with amorous widows, young couples who want him to marry them and a blustering ex-army major who claims to have the ear of the chairman of the shipping line.
To add to his woes, most of the officers and crew, led by the chief purser, are on the fiddle. The captain doesn't fully realise this until the last night of the cruise, when champagne being served is revealed to be cider, with the crew pocketing the considerable profits.
All comes out well - just. The captain finds himself engaged to be married to an attractive widow, the chief officer is also engaged to a young heiress, and the larcenous officers are arrested by Sydney police.
- John Gregson - Captain Ebbs
- Peggy Cummins - Mrs Judd
- Donald Sinden - Chief Officer Shawe-Wilson
- Nadia Gray - Mrs Porteous
- Maurice Denham - Major Broster
- Richard Wattis - Chief Purser Prittlewell
- Reginald Beckwith - Captain's Steward Burtweed
- Lionel Murton - Bernie Floate
- Bill Kerr - Bill Coke
- Nicholas Phipps - Reddish
- Joan Sims - Maude Pritchett
- Miles Malleson - Canon Swingler
- John Le Mesurier - Sir Angus
- James Hayter - Chief Engineer Earnshaw
- June Jago - Gwenny Coke
- Oliver Reed - Minor role
- Arthur Lowe - Minor role
- The Captain (1971)
- "The Captain's Table (1959)". BFI. Retrieved 3 June 2017.