The Breaking of Bumbo
The Breaking of Bumbo is a 1970 British comedy film written and directed by Andrew Sinclair, a former Coldstream Guards National service officer that was updated from his 1959 novel of the same name that featured the Suez Crisis. It starred Richard Warwick, Joanna Lumley, Jeremy Child and Edward Fox.
|The Breaking of Bumbo|
Original movie poster
|Directed by||Andrew Sinclair|
|Produced by||L. Jeffrey Selznick|
|Written by||Andrew Sinclair (novel and screenplay)|
|Music by||Brian Gascoigne|
- Richard Warwick - Bumbo
- Joanna Lumley - Susie
- Natasha Pyne - Sheila
- Jeremy Child - Billy
- John Bird - Jock
- Donald Pickering - Jorum
- Derek Newark - CSM Peters
- Don McKillop - RSM
- Peter Myers - CO
- Simon Williams - Crutcher
- Timothy Carlton - Bean
- Edward Fox - Horwood
- George Janson - Farquhar
- Robert Swann - Machaffie
- Peter Whitting - Downley
- Robert Russell - Sergeant Clegg
- Howard Southern - Lance-Corporal Johnson
- Warren Clarke - Guardsmen Andrews
- Andrew Bradford - Guardsmen Simons
- Michael Burrell - Guardsmen Matt
- Jon Croft - Guardsmen James
- Ron Davies - Guardsmen Bart
- Peter Laird - Guardsmen Munch
- Michael Taylor - Guardsmen Smith
- Robert Tayman - Guardsmen Phillips
- Francis Wallis - Guardsmen Thomson
- William Fox - Brigadier
- Anouska Hempel - Debutante
- Jeffry Wickham - Medical Officer
Jacquemine Charrott Lodwidge was the film's fashion co-ordinator.
After a couple of preview screenings,the film's release was delayed then cancelled altogether. It was never distributed in Britain, but the producers recouped a little of their costs by selling the TV rights.
- NEW NOVELS Davenport, John. The Observer 8 Feb 1959: 21.
- MOVIE CALL SHEET: Foreman Will Film 'Ernie' Martin, Betty. Los Angeles Times 27 Jan 1970: d9.
- Winstanley: AN INTERVIEW WITH KEVIN BROWNLOW Glaessner, Verina. Film Quarterly (ARCHIVE); Berkeley Vol. 30, Iss. 2, (Winter 1976/1977): 18-23.
- In the Picture Sight and Sound; London Vol. 40, Iss. 3, (Summer 1971): 132.