The Border Legion (1940 film)
The Border Legion (TV edit: West of the Badlands) is a 1940 American Western film directed by Joseph Kane and written by Olive Cooper and Louis Stevens. It is based on the 1916 novel The Border Legion by Zane Grey. The film stars Roy Rogers, George "Gabby" Hayes, Carol Hughes, Joe Sawyer, Maude Eburne and Jay Novello. The film was released on December 5, 1940, by Republic Pictures.
|The Border Legion|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Joseph Kane|
|Produced by||Joseph Kane|
|Screenplay by||Olive Cooper|
|Based on||The Border Legion|
by Zane Grey
George "Gabby" Hayes
|Music by||Milton Rosen|
|Cinematography||Jack A. Marta|
|Edited by||Edward Mann|
|Distributed by||Republic Pictures|
- Roy Rogers as Dr. Stephen Kellogg aka Steve Kells
- George "Gabby" Hayes as Honest John Whittaker
- Carol Hughes as Alice Randall
- Joe Sawyer as Jim Gulden
- Maude Eburne as Hurricane Hattie McGuire
- Jay Novello as Santos
- Hal Taliaferro as Sheriff Amos Link
- Dick Wessel as Oscar Red McGooney
- Paul Porcasi as Tony
- Robert Emmett Keane as Officer Willets
- Len D. Martin (May 5, 2006). The Republic Pictures Checklist: Features, Serials, Cartoons, Short Subjects and Training Films of Republic Pictures Corporation, 1935-1959. McFarland. ISBN 9780786427406.
- "The Border Legion (1940) - Overview". TCM.com. Retrieved 2015-11-04.
- Hal Erickson. "West of the Badlands (1940) - Joseph Kane". AllMovie. Retrieved 2018-10-20.
- "The Border Legion". Afi.com. Retrieved 2015-11-04.