The Big Guy
|The Big Guy|
|Directed by||Arthur Lubin|
|Produced by||Burt Kelly|
|Written by||Lester Cole|
|Music by||Hans J. Salter|
|Edited by||Philip Cahn|
|Distributed by||Universal Pictures|
- Victor McLaglen as Warden Bill Whitlock
- Jackie Cooper as Jimmy Hutchins
- Ona Munson as Mary Whitlock
- Peggy Moran as Joan Lawson
- Edward Brophy as Dippy
- Jonathan Hale as Jack Lang
- Russell Hicks as Lawson
- Wallis Clark as District Attorney
- Alan Davis as Joe
- Murray Alper as Williams
- Edward Pawley as Buckhart
- George McKay as Buzz Miller
Universal had been looking for a project to team Victor McLaglen and Jackie Cooper for some months. This was the script chosen. It was originally called No Power On Earth and it was announced in September 1939.
- 'The big guy'. (1940, Feb 23). The Christian Science Monitor
- Vagg, Stephen (14 September 2019). "The Cinema of Arthur Lubin". Diabolique Magazine.
- DRAMA: Dramatic Subject to Star McLaglen, Cooper Schallert, Edwin. Los Angeles Times26 Sep 1939: A17.
- SCREEN NEWS HERE AND IN HOLLYWOOD New York Times 26 Sep 1939: 29
- DRAMA: Taylor Gets Plum Role of Alexander Hamilton Schallert, Edwin. Los Angeles Times 15 Nov 1939: A12.
- DRAMA: Orson Welles to Star in 'Smiler With Knife' Los Angeles Times 14 Dec 1939: 13.