The Bassist: Homage to Diversity
The Bassist: Homage to Diversity is an album by bassist Richard Davis with pianist John Hicks released on the Palmetto label in 2001.
|The Bassist: Homage to Diversity|
|Studio album by |
Richard Davis with John Hicks
|Released||May 1, 2001|
|Richard Davis chronology|
The AllMusic review by David R. Adler stated "Master jazz bassist Richard Davis teams up with the esteemed John Hicks on piano for a round of sensitive duets. With a rapport that is truly rare, the two play music that spans genres from classical to bebop to spirituals and vintage blues".
In JazzTimes, Bill Bennett commented: "The subtitle to this duets collection refers to the repertoire, the range of material and the people and concepts they represent, but it as readily refers to the range of Davis’ arco technique. Davis and the bow are very much in evidence here, matched with the great John Hicks and the piano".
On All About Jazz, Craig Jolley said "As the primary soloist Davis plays arco (bowed) bass on most tunes. In contrast to the generally high-energy feel of his previous records he concentrates mainly on melodic variation. The deep, rich sonority of his instrument becomes a primary message. This CD can also be seen as Davis' personal summary of twentieth century American music with emphasis on soulfulness. Pianist John Hicks accompanies Davis with sensitivity and restraint and contributes concise, apt solos".
- "Come Sunday/Warm Valley" (Duke Ellington) – 5:14
- "Simone" (Frank Foster) – 8:01
- "Estate (Summer)" (Bruno Martino) – 7:46
- "A Flower Is a Lovesome Thing" (Billy Strayhorn) – 4:37
- "Eccles Sonata" (Henry Eccles) – 4:33
- "Lift Every Voice and Sing" (John Rosamond Johnson, James Weldon Johnson) – 3:33
- "Go Down Moses" (Traditional) – 2:34
- "Little Benny" (Charlie Parker) – 5:19
- "Skylark" (Hoagy Carmichael, Johnny Mercer) – 4:27
- "C.C. Rider (Traditional) – 5:05
- Richard Davis discography accessed June 12, 2018
- Adler, David R.. Richard Davis – The Bassist: Homage to Diversity > Review at AllMusic. Retrieved June 12, 2018.
- Bennett, B. JazzTimes Review accessed June 12, 2018
- Jolley, C. All About Jazz Review accessed June 12, 2018