Texila American University
Texila American University (TAU) is an offshore private medical school, owned by the Texila American University Ltd – Hong Kong (TAU-HK). TAU-HK is a project of the ALLTERE Education Management Company. Texila's U.S. offices are in New Jersey. The University is located in Guyana, South America and offers undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in medicine, nursing, public health and allied sciences.
Texila American University Ltd Seal
|Motto||Bringing Education to Life|
|Website||Official School Website|
The school is registered with the National Accreditation Council of Guyana and has applied for accreditation with the Caribbean Accreditation Authority for Education in Medicine and other Health Professions. It is listed in both FAIMERs and the World Directory of Medical Schools.
Management and Organization
TAU was established in Guyana in September 2010 offering courses in medicine and dentistry. The initial classes were offered at the Critchlow Labour College on Woolford Avenue in Georgetown, and in 2011, they moved to a campus in Goedverwagting, Sparendaam. In 2012, the university expanded its programs to offer nursing certifications. TAU graduated its first set doctors in 2014, followed by hundreds of graduate physicians in 2015, 2016 and 2017 out of a total enrollment of 422 students from 35 countries. In 2014, the school began an expansion hoping to accommodate up to 1000 students at a new campus located in Providence, East Bank Demerara. IDK
TAU has a campus in Zambia and Fujairah in the United Arab Emirates.
College of Medicine
Completion of the full program will result in students receiving an MBBS for the pre-medical courses and the Doctor of Medicine degree for completion of the entire course. Options are available for students who have completed the pre-med elsewhere or have attained the equivalent of a BS and should contact the university for a determination.
College of Nursing
Nursing programs encompass a four-year program which is completed in 3 semesters per year. Subjects include biology and chemistry, as well as basic nursing and training in patient restorative care. The school utilizes both laboratory and technology-based education programs with students completing two years study on site at the Guyana campus and then completing two years of practicum in Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom, or other affiliated universities. Completion of the course will result in a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree. Advanced classes for Registered nurse can be the undertaken in a 2-year RN-BSN program completed at the campus in Guyana.
Several postgraduate programs are also offered for students who have earned their bachelor's or other higher degrees. Fellowship programs vary and completion time will range from few months to one year. Masters and postgraduate programs are rendered in partnership with the Central University of Nicaragua.
Texila is registered with the National Accreditations Council of Guyana Higher Education Authority Ministry of Education, Zambia. It is listed in the FAIMER International Medical Education Directory (IMED) effective in 2011 as School #F0002428 and is listed in the World Health Organization's World Directory of Medical Schools. By virtue of its listing in IMED, students graduating from Texila are authorized to take part in the United States Medical Licensing Examination three-part examinations. Those who pass the examinations are eligible according to the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates to register for and participate in the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP).
- "Education tourism???". Georgetown, Guyana: Kaieteur News. 20 May 2012. Retrieved 30 November 2015.
- "Texila American University expanding operations". Georgetwon, Guyana: Guyana Times. 16 August 2014. Retrieved 1 December 2015.
- "Texila American University to introduce nursing programme". Georgetown, Guyana: Stabroek News. 15 May 2012. Retrieved 30 November 2015.
- "Texila University to set up 150-bed hospital on Providence Campus". Georgetown, Guyana: Stabroek News. 17 July 2015. Retrieved 30 November 2015.
- "Ground broken for US$20M Texila campus at Providence". Georgetown, Guyana: Stabroek News. 29 April 2015. Retrieved 30 November 2015.
- "Texila American University College of Medicine". Warsaw, Poland: International Medicine Studies. 2014. Retrieved 1 December 2015.
- "Texila American University Group" (PDF). Oslo, Norway: The International Council for Open and Distance Education. Archived from the original (PDF) on 24 August 2014. Retrieved 1 December 2015.
- "Private Institutions". National Accreditation Council. Georgetown, Guyana: Ministry of Education, Guyana. 2014. Archived from the original on 13 November 2014. Retrieved 1 December 2015.
- "Texila American University College of Medicine". Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research. Retrieved 29 November 2015.
- "Texila American University College of Medicine". World Directory of Medical Schools. Retrieved 29 November 2015.