Technical Institute of Kuala Lumpur
Technical Institute of Kuala Lumpur (TiKL) (Malay: Sekolah Menengah Teknik Kuala Lumpur), is a technical and cluster school located in Bandar Tun Razak, Cheras, Kuala Lumpur and it's the oldest technical school in Malaysia that was founded in 1926.
|Sekolah Menengah Teknik Kuala Lumpur|
Bandar Tun Razak,
Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur
|Type||Government-aided technical school, cluster school|
|Motto||Bertugas Hidup Berjasa|
|Principal||En. Norbashah bin Abu Bakar (2018-now)|
|Grades||Form 4 and Form 5|
|Enrollment||880 (650 hostel student)|
|Student Union/Association||Grizzly(2012-2013) Titans(2013-2014) Rhinox(2014-2015) Sabers(2015-2016) Velox(2016-2017) Maestro(2017-2018) Griffin(2018-2019)|
|Colour(s)||Yellow, Red, Green, and Blue|
The establishment of TiKL can be traced back in 1926. In 1927, The Federated Malay State Government Trade School was created after the Federated Malay States government wished to train skilled workers in technical fields by Mr Noel Leembruggen, an ILO officer and engineer and Mr. Geary, a superintendent. The first site for the school was located at Jalan Kolam Air with only seven staff. In 1946, the school changed its name to Junior Technical Trade School with enrolment of 80 students.
Its name was changed again to Technical Institute after the Report of the Education Committee in 1956 (known as 'Penyata Razak') which also suggested that the school transform into a full secondary school which offered its students basic technical skill for the Lower Certificate of Education (LCE) holders. The first batch of students for the Technical Institute was enrolled in February 1957 with Mr. Lai Nyen Foo as the principal. The teachers then were Mr Rozario, Mr Takashi Mori Jr., Mr.Vivien Voo, Mr. Lee Hoch Siew. Mr Leembruggen (1957/58), Mr Wong, Mr Cheong, Mr. Danial, Mr. Zaki, Mr How Chin Cheong and a few more. The first batch graduated in December 1959. Finally in 1962, the school changed its name to Sekolah Menengah Teknik Kuala Lumpur.
In 1967 TiKL moved out from Jalan Kolam Air to Jalan Tenteram (now known as Jalan Yaacob Latiff), Bandar Tun Razak. Other institutions located along this road are Sekolah Menengah Sains Alam Shah (previously Sekolah Alam Shah which was then moved to Putrajaya and changed its name to Sekolah Sultan Alam Shah) and Sekolah Menengah Sains Selangor.
"Bertugas Hidup Berjasa"
Students' Pledge (Ikrar Pelajar)
Kami, Warga Sekolah Menengah
Teknik Kuala Lumpur,
Sebagai Rakyat Malaysia,
Dengan Penuh Kesedaran Dan Kesyukuran,
Membuat Ikrar Akan Sentiasa Bertugas Hidup Berjasa,
Taat Setia Yang Tidak Berbelah Bagi Kepada Negara Malaysia Yang Kami Cintai
Kami Berikrar Akan Sentiasa Menjunjung Prinsip-Prinsip Rukun Negara Pada Setiap Masa.
In English (direct translation, since there is no students' pledge in English language)
We, the Students of Technical Institute of Kuala Lumpur,
As the Citizens of Malaysia,
With Full Awareness and Thankfulness,
Make a Pledge, to Always Be Giving And Focusing,
Our Utmost Loyalty to Our Beloved Land, Malaysia
This is Our Pledge, To Always Uphold the National Principles at All Times.
There are four main courses:
- Civil Engineering Studies
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering Studies
- Mechanical Engineering Studies
- TiKL was chosen as one of the Ministry of Education (MOE) second batch's Cluster Schools. Three niche areas of the school are Netball, Fire and Rescue Cadet and also the subject Engineering Drawing.
- One of TiKL students was chosen as Malaysian Best Co-Curricular Student 2008 at Pulau Pinang.
- TiKL Pantun Team emerged as champion in Kuala Lumpur Pantun Festival, shocking SMT Setapak who was a favourite in the competition held at SMK Wangsa Melawati KL. TiKL went to represent KL in the national level at Perlis.
- TiKL Multimedia Team, whose members include that of the winning innovation team 2007, emerged as the second runner-up in UM-Climate Change Video Competition 2008.
- In co-curriculum activities, TiKL Fire and Rescue Cadet held the number 1 ranking in Kuala Lumpur, and went to represent Kuala Lumpur in the National Level of Fire and Rescue Cadet Camping 2007 held at Malacca.
- In December 2007, TiKL win National Innovation Award 07 at Dewan Merdeka, PWTC.
- TiKL was runner-up of Best Technical School in Malaysia.
- TiKL was chosen as Sekolah Harapan Negara by the Ministry Education of Malaysia.
- TiKL English Debaters Team won in the Regional and National stage of Piala Dato' Azmi Debating Competition. Third time in a row.
- The TiKL Tae Kwon Do team, trained by Master Bala, won five gold medals in MSSKL and was second in the boys U-17. This was the best ever achievement of the team.
- Four students were selected to represent Malaysia in an Eco Youth Camp in Thailand.
- TiKL English Debaters Team won in the Regional (in Gombak) and National (in Sungai Buloh) stage of Piala Dato' Azmi Debating Competition. Second time in a row.
- TiKL Scout Team, KRS and Fire and Rescue Cadet won Champion in Zon Pudu District stage Marching Competition.
- TiKL Scout Team won 1st runner-up in Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur State stage Marching Competition.
- TiKL Fire and Rescue Cadet and KRS won 2nd runner-up in Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur State stage Marching Competition.
- TiKL English Debaters Team won in the Regional (in Kajang) and National (in Pulau Pinang) stage of Piala Dato' Azmi Debating Competition.
- Arumugam Vijiaratnam, Singaporean engineer and Olympic athlete (football and rugby)