Tech Coast Angels
Tech Coast Angels is the leading source of funding to early-stage companies in Southern California. TCA has over 300 members and is also one of the largest angel networks in the world. A 2014 analysis by CB Insights ranked TCA #1 out of 370 angel groups on “Network Centrality” and #5 overall in “Investor Mosaic.”
|Mutual-benefit nonprofit corporation|
|Headquarters||Southern California, United States|
|Products||Angel Investing Group|
Since its inception in 1997, TCA members have focused on building valuable companies, personally invested over $170 million in over 300 companies, and helped portfolio companies attract more than $1.4 billion in additional capital, mostly from venture capital firms. In 2015, TCA invested $13.5 million in 58 companies, and in 2014 invested $16.3 million in 61 companies.
TCA members provide companies capital, counsel, mentoring and access to a network of potential investors and partners. TCA has chapters located in Los Angeles, Orange County, San Diego, Central Coast and the Inland Empire.
TCA has had nine IPOs and over 60 exits. Noteworthy investment exits for TCA include Sandpiper Networks (internet infrastructure) and Green Dot Corporation (over-the-counter prepaid debit card), both returning more than 100X of TCA invested capital. Other successful exits include:
- Mindbody (wellness business services software)
- BlueBeam Software (PDF collaboration software)
- Green Earth Technologies (oil substitute made from waste beef tallow)
- Lytx (Drivecam (video event recorder for driver feedback safety)
- WiseWindow (open qualitative content aggregation platform)
- Language Weaver (machine translation software)
- AIRSIS (remote asset tracking & management)
- Althea (cGMP manufacturing, analytical development, aseptic filling)
- N Spine (spine stability system)
- OptionEase (stock option audit financial software)
- Cytom X Therapeutics (antibody therapeutics for a variety of serious diseases including cancer)
- LendAmend (online solution for loan amendment)
- Vital Therapies (liver assist device)
- Pictage.com (online event photography services)
- Olive Medical (HD surgical camera)
- Trius Therapeutics (antimicrobial drug)
- Molecular Medicine BioServices (contract clinical manufacturer)
- Allylix (artificial fragrance production)
The TCA investment portfolio page lists investments in general categories such as Life Sciences, Internet/Apps, Software, Consumer, CleanTech/Industrials, Hardware, Financial, and Business. Active portfolio companies include:
- AnyMeeting (free webinar/web conferencing software)
- ElephantDrive (storage-as-a-service software)
- Gremln (tools & sentiment analysis platform)
- Hipmunk (online travel website)
- Impact Hub (accelerator/workspace/incubator)
- Kickstart (Cadence Biomedical) (helps people with severe disabilities walk)
- Ninja Metrics (measures social influence)
- PharmaSecure (mass serialization codes for products in emerging markets)
- Portfolium (online social portfolio network)
- Ranker (UGC/ social platform for ranking things)
- Truecar (automotive lead generation)
- WeGoLook (dispatches in-person Lookers to verify claims made by Internet sellers)
- YouMail (voice messaging for cell phones)
- "Angel Capital Association Directory". Angel Capital Association.
- socalTECH (October 18, 2013). "Southern California Tech Companies Raise $709.8M In Q3".
- Freeman, Mike. "Investor network Tech Coast Angels pumped $14.2 million into start-ups last year". sandiegouniontribune.com. Retrieved 2018-09-21.
- "Ranking Angel Investment Groups". CB Insights. CB Insights. August 13, 2014. Retrieved June 10, 2016.
- Tech Coast Angels (2016). "Tech Coast Angels Website". Tech Coast Angels. Tech Coast Angels.
- "Tech Coast Angels Invested $13.5 Million into Startup Ecosystem in 2015". PR Web. February 29, 2016. Retrieved June 10, 2016.
- "Tech Coast Angels Invested Best Ever $16.37 Million in 2014". PR Web. January 29, 2015. Retrieved June 10, 2016.
- Klein, Karen E. "Perfecting the Fund-Raising Pitch". Bloomberg BusinessWeek.
- Tech Coast Angels. "7 P's of Investor Presentations". SlideShare.
- Austin, Scott (January 11, 2010). "How To Pitch A Venture Capitalist On A Napkin". Wall Street Journal.
- Venture Capital Dispatch (August 2, 2010). "The Magic 8-Ball of Angel Investing". Wall Street Journal.
- Perloff, David & Sherman, Pat (October 2, 2011). "Cashing In San Diego investors write personal checks to propel local entrepreneurs". Pacific San Diego Magazine.
- Somers, Terri. "San Diego angels lend financial wings to entrepreneurs needing cash". San Diego Union Tribune.
- Norman, Jan. "Local investors seek to jumpstart new O.C. ventures". The Orange County Register.
- "Tech Coast Angel Exits". Tech Coast Angels. Retrieved June 10, 2016.
- Hardy, Quentin (October 28, 2002). "Where Angels Dare to Tread". Forbes.
- "Green Dot Sets Pricing Range". socalTECH.
- "Mindbody IPO is the 'Uber of Wellness'". Fox Business. June 19, 2015. Retrieved June 10, 2016.
- "Nemetschek Acquires Bluebeam Software". Bluebeam. October 3, 2014. Retrieved June 10, 2016.
- "GTCR Announces Acquisition of Lytx". PR Newswire. February 18, 2016. Retrieved June 10, 2016.
- "KPMG Acquires WiseWindow". SocialMedia Analysis. April 29, 2012. Retrieved June 10, 2016.
- "Oceaneering Announces Acquisition of AIRSIS". PR Newswire. June 2, 2014. Retrieved June 10, 2016.
- "Ajinomoto Co., Inc. agrees to acquire Althea Technologies, Inc". Ajinimoto Co. March 6, 2013. Retrieved June 10, 2016.
- "Swiss Synthes buys U.S. N Spine for around $75 mln". Reuters. November 13, 2007. Retrieved June 10, 2016.
- "Solium Capital Inc. Announces Acquisition of Optionease, Inc". Solium Capital. October 8, 2012. Retrieved June 10, 2016.
- "No Drug Yet In Clinic, But CytomX Raises $80M In Discounted IPO". Xconomy. October 8, 2015. Retrieved June 10, 2016.
- "LendAmend was acquired by FIS Global (NYSE: FIS)". Crunchbase. November 2013. Retrieved June 10, 2013.
- "Vital Therapies banks $54M in a downsized IPO retry". FierceBiotech. April 17, 2014. Retrieved June 10, 2016.
- "Apax Partners Invests $29 Million in Pictage, Inc., The Leading Provider of Online Solutions For Professional Wedding and Portrait Photographers". PR Newswire. March 2, 2006. Retrieved June 10, 2016.
- "Depuy Synthes Companies Acquires Olive Medical Corporation". Johnson & Johnson. February 10, 2015. Retrieved June 10, 2016.
- "Cubist Adds Antibiotic Punch, Buys Trius and Optimer for $1.24B". Xconomy. July 30, 2013. Retrieved June 10, 2016.
- "Sigma-Aldrich Acquires Molecular Medicine BioServices to Expand SAFC Pharma Capabilities". PR Newswire. May 8, 2007. Retrieved June 10, 2016.
- "Evolva to acquire Allylix". Evolva. November 18, 2014. Retrieved June 10, 2016.
- "Tech Coast Angels Performance". Tech Coast Angels. Tech Coast Angels. 2016. Retrieved June 10, 2016.
- TCA website. Tech Coast Angels Investment Portfolio.