Teatro Flavio Vespasiano
Planning for the theatre began in the early 19th century, but construction did begin until 1883. Named after the Roman emperor Vespasian who was born near Rieti, the theatre was designed by Achille Sfondrini, the architect responsible for the Teatro Costanzi in Rome. Its inaugural performance took place on 20 September 1893 with a double bill of Mascagni's Cavalleria rusticana and Gounod's Faust. In 1898, an earthquake damaged the structure and destroyed the cupola's frescoes. The building was repaired and the cupola repainted by Giulio Rolland, who depicted a Roman Triumph. The atrium was decorated by Antonino Calcagnadoro with allegorical theatrical figures. Guglielmo Ballester depicted an Allegory of Music.
Major restoration works took place from 2005 until 2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Teatro Flavio Vespasiano.|