Te Ngākau Civic Square

Te Ngākau Civic Square is a public square in Wellington, New Zealand.

Use

The square is used for public events and is a popular place for office workers to eat their lunch on warm summer days.

Address

Te Ngākau Civic Square is located at 101 Wakefield Street, Wellington, 6011.

History

The first real plans for the Civic Square date back to 1944.

In 1987, the Wellington City Council appointed Fletcher Development and Construction Ltd as the project developers. The project involved building a new library, conversion of the existing library into the City Gallery, extension and refurbishment of City Council buildings, earthquake strengthening and refurbishment of the Old Town Hall, car parking space, design of the new public space and a link to the waterfront. The project was completed in 1992.

On 14 June 2018, as part of the City Council's new te reo Māori policy, Te Taiahu, the Square was renamed to "Te Ngākau Civic Square". The new name, meaning 'the heart', was gifted to the city by local iwi Taranaki Whānui ki te Upoko o te Ika a Māui.[1]

See also

References

This article is issued from Wikipedia. The text is licensed under Creative Commons - Attribution - Sharealike. Additional terms may apply for the media files.