Te Aratāwhao was a Māori waka constructed by early Māori settlers in the Bay of Plenty region of New Zealand. The craft was purpose-built to supply kumara from Hawaiki to New Zealand. Captained by Tama-ki-hikurangi, Te Aratāwhao withstood the journey from Whakatāne to Hawaiki. However, Te Aratāwhao and her captain remained in Hawaiki, while the crew returned to New Zealand with the supplies in another canoe, the Mataatua.
|Great Māori migration waka|
- Best, Elsdon (1904). "Notes on Ancient Polynesian Migrants, or Voyagers, to New Zealand, and Voyage of the "Aratawhao" Canoe to Hawaiki". Transactions and Proceedings of the Royal Society of New Zealand. 37: 130–138. Retrieved 5 April 2007.
- Taonui, Rāwiri (21 December 2006). "Canoe traditions". Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand. Retrieved 5 April 2007.