Tarleton State Texans
The Tarleton State Texans (formerly the Tarleton State Texans and TexAnns) are the athletic teams that represent Tarleton State University of Stephenville, Texas in NCAA Division II intercollegiate sports. Before Tarleton State became a four-year institution in 1961, they were known as the "Plowboys". The Texans compete as members of the Lone Star Conference for all 14 varsity sports. Tarleton State re-joined the Lone Star Conference in 1995 after having previously participated from 1968 to 1975. They were a founding member of the Texas Intercollegiate Athletic Association (TIAA) in 1976 and remained in that league until 1990. From 1991 to 1994 Tarleton played as an independent. The Tarleton State Texans have announced that they will reclassify to NCAA Division I and join the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) for the 2020-2021 season. As the WAC does not sponsor football, Tarleton State's football program will compete as a FCS independent.
|Tarleton State Texans|
|University||Tarleton State University|
|Conference||Lone Star Conference (WAC in 2020)|
|NCAA||Division II (D-I in 2020)|
|Athletic director||Lonn Reisman|
|Football stadium||Memorial Stadium|
|Basketball arena||Wisdom Gym|
|Baseball stadium||Cecil Ballow Baseball Complex|
|Colors||Purple and White|
Women's nickname history
The first TSU women's varsity teams, introduced in 1968–69, actually played under the "Texans" nickname. However, due to female athletes' wish to play under a distinctive nickname, the school changed it the following school year, though a consistent spelling was not immediately adopted—"Texanns", "Tex-Anns", and "TexAnns" were used interchangeably until 1972–73, when "TexAnns" was officially settled on. During the 2018–19 school year, two players and a student manager in the women's basketball program started a campaign to change the women's nickname back to "Texans". After receiving buy-in from virtually all female athletes, plus much of the university community, TSU announced in January 2019 that women's teams would once again be known as "Texans" starting in 2019–20.
The football team plays at Memorial Stadium. The baseball team plays at Cecil Ballow Baseball Complex. The softball team plays at the Tarleton Softball Complex. The basketball and volleyball teams play at Wisdom Gym.
List of teams
- Tarleton State fields teams in indoor and outdoor track for both sexes. The NCAA classifies indoor and outdoor track as separate sports, holding indoor championships in its winter season and outdoor championships in its spring season.
- "Graphic Identity Standards". Retrieved April 19, 2016.
- Javad, Jonah (January 24, 2019). "Tarleton State drops 'TexAnns' name for female athletes". WFAA. Retrieved 2019-07-16.
- Tarleton State to join Western Athletic Conference, Albuquerque Journal
- "All Tarleton athletic teams to unite as 'Texans' this fall" (Press release). Tarleton State Athletics. January 26, 2019. Retrieved September 13, 2019.
- Wisdom Gym at TSU