Tammy Tell Me True
|Tammy Tell Me True|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Harry Keller|
|Produced by||Ross Hunter|
|Written by||Oscar Brodney|
|Based on||Tammy Tell Me True|
by Cid Ricketts Sumner
|Music by||Percy Faith|
|Edited by||Otto Ludwig|
Ross Hunter Productions
|Distributed by||Universal Pictures|
Tammy is waiting to hear from her lover Pete, who has gone to agricultural college. She decides to go to college to improve herself. Tammy becomes a paid companion for a crusty old lady and falls for a handsome man.
- Sandra Dee as Tammy
- John Gavin as Tom Freeman
- Charles Drake as Buford Woodly
- Virginia Grey as "Miss" Jenks
- Julia Meade as Suzanne Rook
- Beulah Bondi as Mrs. Call
- Cecil Kellaway as Captain Joe
- Edgar Buchanan as Judge Carver
- Gigi Perreau as Rita
- Juanita Moore as Della
- Hayden Rorke as Joshua Welling
- Ward Ramsey as Caleb Slade
- Henry Corden as Captain Armand
- Don Dorrell as Roger
- Pat McNulty as Joan
- Stefanie Powers as Kay (credited as 'Taffy Paul')
- Lowell Brown as John
- Bill Herrin as Phil (as William Herrin)
- Catherine McLeod as Mrs. Bateman
- Ross Elliott as Professor Bateman
- Ned Wever as Dr. Stach
The Chicago Tribune called it "calculated cuteness... relieved by a likeable performance from Sandra Dee." The Washington Post called it "infinitely inferior to the first Tammy, everything about the film is false, especially the aggressive Sandra Dee, whose primpsy whimsy wardrobe cannot disguise the acquisitive gaze in her give-away eyes."
In a 1974 interview, Gavin criticised the film but said it "haunts the tube like a permanent miasma. You can't do worse than that."
- Deep South Primitive: TAMMY TELL ME TRUE. By Cid Ricketts Sumner. 316, pp. Indianapolis and New York: The BobbsMerrill Company. $3.75. By CHARLOTTE CAPERS. New York Times (1923-Current file) [New York, N.Y] 29 Nov 1959: BR62.
- 'Tammy' Film Sequel May Star Sandra Dee Hopper, Hedda. Chicago Daily Tribune (1923-1963) [Chicago, Ill] 16 Sep 1960: d4.
- Sandra Dee Is Likable in 'Tammy Tell Me True': "TAMMY TELL ME TRUE" TINEE, MAE. Chicago Daily Tribune (1923-1963) [Chicago, Ill] 18 July 1961: a4.
- Lighting Up Our History: Accent on History Three Immediate Factors By Richard L. Coe. The Washington Post, Times Herald (1959-1973) [Washington, D.C] 22 July 1961: C11.
- John Gavin: One for the 'Seesaw': John Gavin: One for the 'Seesaw' By Tom Donnelly. The Washington Post (1974-Current file) [Washington, D.C] 28 July 1974: L1.