Tamil Nadu football team
The Tamil Nadu football team is an Indian football team representing Tamil Nadu in the Santosh Trophy. They have appeared in the Santosh Trophy finals twice, in 1972–73 and 2012, and have never won. Tamil Nadu team reached Semi-finals of the Santosh Trophy in the year 2009, where they lost to the Goa football team. Prior to 1972, the team competed as 'Madras'.
|Full name||Tamil Nadu Football Team|
|Ground||Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium (Chennai)|
|Owner||Tamilnadu Football Association|
Tamil Nadu Squad
Note: Flags indicate national team as defined under FIFA eligibility rules. Players may hold more than one non-FIFA nationality.
Some of the former Tamil Nadu state football players are Samson Gunapandian, Simon Sundararaj, J. Krishnaswamy, Raman Vijayan, Syed Sabir Pasha, Kalia Kulothungan, Robin Charles Raja, V. Soundararajan, P.M. Radhakrishnan, P. Nageshwara Rao, M. Thangaraj, Gandhi (RBI), Edwin Ross (Winger), D'Cruz (ICF), Orlando Rayen, A.U. Celestine (Goal Keeper), P.V. Sriramulu, A. Satyanarayanan, Guna Singh, Koshy, Kumar, Thomas, Arumaiyanayagam, Thanikachalam, Chandran Jeypal, Dhanapathy, Gurunathan, Viswanathan, and Rajamanickam (Goal Keeper).
Most of these former players were employees of State or Central government institutions. All India Football Federation and Tamilnadu Football Association were coordinating these players participation at the National level. In the past, to attend preparatory camps to get selected for the Indian national football team, it was difficult for these players to obtain leave from the institutions in which they were employed. Some Tamil Nadu football players use their football talent and achievements to get jobs in Government institutions like Southern Railways, Indian Bank, and Chennai Customs.
The following is an incomplete list of Tamilnadu footballers.
- Dhanpal Ganesh
- Dharmaraj Ravanan
- Nallappan Mohanraj
- Kali Alaudeen
- C. S. Sabeeth
- Pradeep Mohanraj
- Michael Soosairaj
- Edwin Sydney Vanspaul
- Nanda Kumar
- Raegan Albarnas
- P. Sudhakar
- A. Arun Pradeep - Goal keeper
- M. Manikandan - Goal keeper
- Vijay Nagappan
- G. Praveendran
- H. Ameerudeen
- Michael Regin
- L. Charles Anandraj
- Pravitto Raju
- Sinivasan Pandiyan
- Antony Beautin
- Alexander Romario Jesuraj
- F. Jegan
- P.C. Riju
- P. Muthu
- D. Joffin
- S. Santha Kumar
- Ajith Kumar Kamaraj
- Football, DC. "The pain of 2009 in Santosh Trophy". Deccan Chronicle.
- Roy, Anshuman. "Goa oust TN, fans lose temper". The Telegraph.
- Correspondent, Special. "Tamil Nadu team for Santhosh Trophy". The Hindu.
- Frederick, Prince (April 2011). "Memories of Madras – Football's field day". The Hindu.
- Rayan, Stan. "Raw diamonds from the seashore".
- Chronicle, Deccan. "Players from yesteryear return to football's heyday".
- Thiagarajan, Shantha. "When Ooty had a 'dribbler par excellence'" (July 2018). The Times Of India.
- Metro Plus Chennai, The Hindu (26 September 2002). "Memories of a different era". The Hindu. The Hindu.
- RS, Prasad. "Meet the footballer who scored India's last Olympic goal". The Times of India.
- Week, Sports (1 September 1974). Who cares for the players?. Bombay: Khalid Ansari. p. 236.
- Hore, Abhishek. "Leading scorer Riju mulls EB option". Hindustan Times.
- Krishnaswamy, Karthik. "A happy homecoming for stars". The Hindu.
- Raghu, T.N. "Sudhakar will be TN's key man". Deccan Chronicle.