TMC (TV channel)
|Launched||10 November 1954|
|Owned by||TF1 Group|
|Picture format||576i (16:9 SDTV)|
|Audience share||10.3% (September 2017 , Médiamétrie)|
|Slogan||TMC toujours plus proche de vous|
(TMC, always closer to you)
|Formerly called||Télé Monte-Carlo (1954–1993)|
Monte Carlo TMC (1993–2001)
TMC Monte-Carlo (2004–2009)
|Bis Télévisions||Channel 10|
|MC Cable||Channel 2|
|Freebox TV||Channel 10|
|Orange SA||Channel 10|
The oldest private channel in Europe, TMC dates back to 1954, inaugurated by Rainier III, Prince of Monaco. Like several other European television channels, its first major broadcast was one relating to the country's reigning dynasty, in this case the marriage of Prince Rainier III and Grace Kelly. As a result of an agreement between Prince Rainier III and the French President François Mitterrand, TMC was able to be broadcast as far west as Montpellier, France, tripling its coverage (three million potential viewers).
In 1987 the channel was carried for a few hours on M6, a French television service — which made it available to much more of France — and the channel was eventually carried by CanalSat and became available in all of France and the Indian Ocean area. The channel also won a spot on the French language digital terrestrial television scheme, demonstrating its wide appeal.
The channel was owned jointly by the TF1 Group (40%), the AB Group (40%) and the Government of Monaco (20%). In 2010, TF1 Group bought AB Group's shares, In 2016, TF1 bought the Government of Monaco's shares, and now owns 100% of the channel.
Until 1995 TMC was a member of the European Broadcasting Union as a part of Radio Monte-Carlo (RMC). Currently the Monégasque membership is held by Groupement de Radiodiffuseurs Monégasques (GRMC), a joint organisation by Monte-Carlo Radiodiffusion (RMC) and Radio Monte Carlo (RMC).
Télé Monte Carlo shows a variety of programmes, including many imports. It also produces much original programming that include news magazines, cooking shows, and talkshows, which include:
- SUD: A cultural programme focusing on Monaco and the South of France, aired every Sunday.
- Monacoscope: A programme presenting the latest news of politics, sports and the monarchy of Monaco.
- Notre région: A news magazine focussing on political, cultural and economic news of the French region of Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur
TV Shows currently airing
- Downton Abbey
- Saving Grace
- Les filles d'à côté
- Undercover Boss
- The A-Team
- Law & Order
- Alarm für Cobra 11 - Die Autobahnpolizei
- Army Wives
- Extreme Makeover: Home Edition
- Eleventh Hour
- Agatha Christie's Poirot
- The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes
- The Return of Sherlock Holmes
- Agatha Christie's Marple
- The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes
- Une femme d'honneur
- Monaco Grand Prix
- "Doc Presse: Groupe TF1" (in French). L’École supérieure de journalisme de Lille. Archived from the original on 2008-11-15.
- "TF1 devient l'unique propriétaire de TMC en rachetant les 20% de la Principauté de Monaco" [TF1 becomes the sole owner of TMC by acquiring the 20% of the Principality of Monaco]. Europe 1 (in French). 2016-06-09. Retrieved 2019-05-01.
- www.tmc.tv – official website (in French)