Syrian Democratic Council
The Syrian Democratic Council (‹See Tfd›Kurdish: Meclîsa Sûriya Demokratîk MSD, Arabic: مجلس سوريا الديمقراطية, Classical Syriac: ܡܘܬܒܐ ܕܣܘܪܝܐ ܕܝܡܩܪܛܝܬܐ, romanized: Mawtbo d'Suriya Demoqraṭoyto) is the political wing of the Syrian Democratic Forces in the Autonomous Administration of North and East Syria. The SDC's stated mission is working towards the implementation of a "secular, democratic and decentralized system for all of Syria".
Syrian Democratic Council
ܡܘܬܒܐ ܕܣܘܪܝܐ ܕܝܡܩܪܛܝܬܐ
Meclîsa Sûriya Demokratîk
مجلس سوريا الديمقراطية
Riad Darar, Independent
since 25 February 2017
since 16 July 2018
|Al-Malikiyah, Al-Hasakah Governorate, Syria|
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
Autonomous Administration of North and East Syria
Establishment and history
On 1 August 2016 the Syrian Democratic Council opened a public office in Hasakah.
On 11 September 2016 the Syria's Tomorrow Movement signed a cooperation agreement with the Syrian Democratic Council and the associated de facto autonomous region of the Autonomous Administration of North and East Syria.
In late September and early October 2016 a forum for the Syrian Democratic Council was held in the town of Rmelan, in the northeastern Hasakah Governorate. Those that attended the conference included a representative from Jableh, in the western Latakia Governorate.
On 13 January 2017, a youth constituent assembly was established in Qamishli.
On 25 February 2017, the Assyrian Democratic Party agreed to join the Syrian Democratic Council, and the YPG agreed to hand over security in the Assyrian towns along the Khabur River to the Khabour Guards and Nattoreh which joined the Syrian Democratic Forces. On 13 April, PYD forces officially handed over the Khabur valley's villages to the Khabour Guards and Nattoreh, though the YPG kept a military base near Tell Tamer. On the same day, the second conference of the SDC took place in al-Malikiyah and Riad Darar was elected as the co-president of the SDC, replacing Haytham Manna, alongside Îlham Ehmed, who was re-elected.
On 28 May 2017, a female branch of the Syrian Democratic Assembly was established in Al-Shaddadah.
On 16 July 2018, the Third Conference of SDC held under the slogan "Towards a Political Solution and Building a Decentralized Democratic Syria" in Al-Tabqa city, where the delegates elected Amina Omar, replacing Îlham Ehmed, who was elected co-president of Executive Council, and re-elected Riad Darar as co-chairs of SDC.
On 6 September 2018, SDC held a meeting of local councils and autonomous administration departments in north and east Syria at the headquarters of SDC in Ain Issa town, with the participation of Amina Omar, co-chair of SDC, the heads of the civil councils in North Syria and the dignitaries of the Arab tribes, to form an autonomous administration of north and east of Syria on the basis of the decision taken at the third conference of the SDC held on 16 July this year. During the meeting, the 70-member General Council for Autonomous Administration of North, East Syria was formed as follows: 49 members of the legislative councils in the areas of Autonomous Administration and civil councils, and 21 members of the technocrats agreed upon through the preparatory committee and discuss other departments. Mrs. Siham Qariou (Syriac) and Mr. Farid Atti (Kurd) were elected to the joint presidency of the General Council for the Autonomous Administration of North and East Syria, also were elected five members of General Office of the Council. Mrs. Berivan Khaled (Khalid) and Abdul Hamid al-Mahbash were elected co-chairmans of Executive Body.
Later, in the meeting held on 3 October 2018, the co-chairs of the nine Authorities of the Executive Council were elected. On October 21, the first meeting of the General Council was held, at which a legal committee of three people was created, whose tasks is to determine laws, concepts and proposals from committees, departments and offices, in addition to studying the laws issued by the Council. At the meeting it was decided to hold meetings of the Council twice a month.
Involvement in negotiations on Syria
The Syrian Democratic Council was invited to participate in the international Geneva III peace talks on Syria in March 2016. However, it rejected the invitations because no representatives of the Movement for a Democratic Society, led by the Democratic Union Party, were invited.
Members of the General Federal Assembly
|Salih El-Nebwanî||Law–Citizenship–Rights Movement (QMH)||?|
|Haytham Manna||Law–Citizenship–Rights Movement (QMH)||?||Heysem Menaa (Kurdish Transcription)|
|Majid Hebu||Law–Citizenship–Rights Movement (QMH)||?||Macid Hebo, European Representative of Wheat Wave Movement|
|Betar El-Şerih||Honor and Rights Convention (CDR)||?|
|Meram Dawûd||Honor and Rights Convention (CDR)||?|
|Ziyad El-Asî||Syrian Democratic Society||TAA||?||Affiliated to Ahmed Al-Jarba|
|Kerîm El-Dîn Fadil Fetûm||Democratic Socialist Arab Ba'ath Party||?|
|Ebilqadir El-Miwehed||Syrian Democratic Modernity Party||LND||?||Led by Fîras Qesas|
|Parêzer Elaaddin El-Xalid||Syrian National Democratic Alliance||?|
|Ehmed Ehrec||Syrian National Democratic Alliance||?|
|Fîdan Berîm||Syrian National Democratic Alliance||?||Rewan Mihemed|
|Ceyhan Khaddro||Syrian National Democratic Alliance||Shahba||Dayr Hafir Representative|
|Îşûh Gewriyê||Syriac Union Party (SUP)||LND||Jazira|
|Şemîran Şemûn||Syriac Union Party (SUP)||LND||Jazira|
|Lawyer Macid Behî||Syriac Union Party (SUP)||LND||Jazira|
|Mihmedê Mûsê||Left Party of Syrian Kurds||LND||?|
|Rojîn Remo||Yekîtiya Star||LND||Women's Representative, also in Democratic Union Party (PYD)|
|Alî Hoco||N/A||N/A||Shahba||Jarablus Representative|
|Sîhanok Dîbo||Democratic Union Party (PYD)||LND||Jazira|
|Hikmet Hebîb||Arab National Coalition||LND||?|
|Mistefa Meşayix||Democratic Unity Party of Kurdistan (Democratic Yekîtî)||HNKS||?|
|Wail Mîrza||Assyrian Democratic Party||LND||Jazira|
|Telal Mihemed||Syrian Kurds' Democratic Peace Party (PADKS)||LND||?|
|Mizgîn Zêdan||Democratic Transformation Party||LND||?|
|Ferhad Têlo||Kurdistan Liberal Union Party (PYLK)||LND||?|
|Xensa Hemûd||Bureau of Arab Women||?|
|Ebdilrezaq Mihemed El-Taî||Democratic Council of Arab Tribes||Jazira|
|Îlham Ehmed||Democratic Union Party (PYD)||LND||?||Yekîtiya Star|
|Cîhad Mihemed Omer||Independent (TEV-DEM)||LND||?|
|Emar Helûş El-Salêm||Independent||?|
|Fewzî Şengalî||Kurdish Democratic Accord Party (al Wifaq)||HNKS||?|
|Emcet Osman||Syrian Reform Movement (Al-Îslah)||HNKS||?|
|Îbrahîm El-Hesen||N/A||N/A||Kobanî||Tell Abyad Turkmen Representative|
|Bêrîvan Ehmed||N/A||N/A||N/A||Youth Representative|
|Faris Eto Şemo||Yazidi House||Jazira||Mala Êzîdiyan|
|Fehed Daqûrî||Council of Kurdish Tribes||Kobanî|
|Cemal Şêx Baqî||Syrian Kurdish Democratic Party (PDK-S)||ENKS||?||Jamal Sheik Baqi|
|Bassam Said Ishak||Syriac National Council||LND||?||Syriac European diaspora Representative|
|Cebel El-Ereb||Patriotic Initiative||HNKS||?|
- "Kurdish-Arab coalition in Syria forms political wing". Al Jazeera. 11 December 2015. Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- "Kurdish-Arab coalition fighting Islamic State in Syria creates political wing". GlobalPost (AFP). 2015-12-10. Retrieved 2016-05-26.
- "Kurdish-Arab coalition in Syria forms political wing". Al Jazeera. 2015-12-11. Retrieved 2016-05-26.
- "Executive Board of Democratic Syria Assembly elected". ANF. 2015-12-13. Retrieved 2016-05-26.
- "Haytham Manna Elected Joint Chairman of Syrian Democratic Council". The Syrian Observer. 2015-10-14. Retrieved 2016-05-26.
- "Kurdish-Arab coalition in Syria creates political wing". Ekurd Daily. 10 December 2015. Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- "Inauguration of the 1st MSD office". Hawar News Agency. 2016-08-01. Retrieved 2016-08-03.
- "Agreement for the future of Syria". ANF. 11 September 2016. Retrieved 11 September 2016.
- "Jableh representative in Rmaylan forum: Federation guarantees Syrian unity". Hawar News Agency. 1 October 2016.
- "Announcing the formation of a constituent assembly to build youth system in northern Syria". Hawar News Agency. 13 January 2017.
- Anita Garibaldi [@Anit_Garibaldi] (24 February 2017). "1. Under reported deal reached last month between Assyrians of Khabour and PYD. YPG to leave all Assyrian towns along the Khabour River..." (Tweet). Retrieved 14 April 2017 – via Twitter.
- CristiansOrient 🎗 [@CristiansOrient] (2 March 2017). "Milicians cristians dels Guàrdies del Khabour, Forces Democràtiques de #Síria" (Tweet). Retrieved 14 April 2017 – via Twitter.
- "Assyrians seek self-management in Hasaka over deal with PYD". Zaman al-Wasl. 13 April 2017. Retrieved 14 April 2017.
- Sardar Mlla Drwish (27 March 2017). "What federalism would mean for northern Syria". Al-Monitor.
- InfoRojava-Kurdistan [@info_Rojava] (28 May 2017). "#Rojava #Syrie L'Assemblée démocratique de Syrie a ouvert sa branche féminine à Shadadé" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Amina Omar ,Ryad Derrar elected as co-chairs of MSD".
- "مجلس سوريا الديمقراطية ينهي أعمال مؤتمره بإصدار البيان الختامي - ANHA" (in Arabic).
- Fetah, Vîviyan (17 July 2018). "Îlham Ehmed: Dê rêxistinên me li Şamê jî ava bibin". www.rudaw.net (in Kurdish). Rudaw Media Network. Retrieved 29 September 2019.
- "Formation of Autonomous Administration of North, East Syria". Hawar News Agency.
- "Final statement of Autonomous Administration of North, East Syria". Hawar News Agency.
- "Autonomous Administration of North and East Syria announced in Ain Issa".
- "Berivan Khalid: Rules of procedure's draft of bodies to be completed within next 10 days".
- "Who are co-chairs of DAA bodies of north, east Syria?".
- "تعرف على الرؤساء المشتركين لهيئات الإدارة الذاتية لشمال وشرق سوريا" (in Arabic).
- "المجلس العام للإدارة الذاتية يناقش آلية عمله ويتخذ قرارات في جلسته الاولى". Hawar News Agency (in Arabic).
- "Head of Opposition Syrian Democratic Council to Skip Peace Talks in Geneva". Sputnik International. 2016-03-11. Retrieved 2016-05-26.
- "Syrian Kurds apply to set up mission in Washington". Hurriyet Daily News. 2018-04-20.
- "Executive Board of Democratic Syria Assembly elected". Ajansa Nûçeyan a Firatê. 13 December 2015. Retrieved 28 March 2016.
- Khurshid, Ahmed. "مجلس سورية الديمقراطي" [Syria Democratic Council] (in Arabic). Syrian Establishment for Studies and Research of public opinion. Retrieved 20 September 2016.