Sydney Intercolonial Exhibition
The first Sydney Intercolonial Exhibition was inspired by the historic Great Exhibition held in London in 1851: the Australian colony of New South Wales mounted its first such exhibition in 1854 in preparation for the Paris Exhibition of 1855. It also did so in 1861 in preparation for the London Exhibition of 1862.
The Sydney Intercolonial Exhibition building opened at Alfred Park in 1870 and closed in 1954, a century after the first intercolonial exhibition had been held
|Name||Sydney Intercolonial Exhibition|
|Area||6.1 hectares (15 acres)|
|Country||New South Wales|
|Venue||Prince Alfred Park|
|Opening||30 August 1870|
|Closure||30 September 1870|
|Previous||Intercolonial Exhibition of Australasia (1866) in Melbourne|
|Next||Intercolonial Exhibition (1875) in Melbourne|
The term "intercolonial" referred to the British colonies on the continent of Australia, which did not federate as one nation until 1901.
The major impetus for intercolonial exhibitions derived from the Agricultural Society of New South Wales, which from 1858 onwards sponsored annual shows at the Society's grounds at Parramatta, about 20 km (12 mi) west of Sydney's central business district. In 1869, the exhibitions underwent rapid expansion on relocation to the newly established Prince Alfred Park, Surry Hills, immediately south-east of the CBD. The Sydney Intercolonial Exhibition building opened in 1870 on the site.
- Cowley, Des (1995). "Over the border: Victoria at interstate exhibitions". The La Trobe Journal. The State Library Victoria. p. 13. Retrieved 22 July 2019.
- "History of Prince Alfred Park". City of Sydney. The Council of the City of Sydney. 27 March 2013. Retrieved 31 July 2019.
- "The Sydney Intercolonial Exhibition". The Argus (Melbourne) (7, 563). Victoria, Australia. 6 September 1870. p. 6. Retrieved 28 April 2017 – via National Library of Australia.
- "The Sydney Intercolonial Exhibition". The Argus (Melbourne) (7, 580). Victoria, Australia. 26 September 1870. p. 7 – via National Library of Australia.
- Charles Pickering. "Intercolonial Exhibition, Prince Alfred Park, Sydney, 1870". State Library of New South Wales.