Swimming at the 2016 Summer Olympics – Men's 50 metre freestyle
|Men's 50 metre freestyle|
at the Games of the XXXI Olympiad
|Venue||Olympic Aquatics Stadium|
|Dates||11 August 2016 (heats &|
12 August 2016 (final)
|Competitors||85 from 72 nations|
|Swimming at the|
2016 Summer Olympics
Sixteen years after he tied for the gold with Gary Hall, Jr., U.S. swimmer Anthony Ervin, aged 35, reclaimed his title in the program's shortest race to become the oldest male champion in Olympic swimming history. He threw down a gold-medal time of 21.40 to touch out the defending titleholder Florent Manaudou of France by a hundredth of a second. Manaudou was quick off the blocks, but could not catch Ervin near the wall to finish with a silver in 21.41. Meanwhile, Ervin's teammate Nathan Adrian swam to another bronze-medal feat at the Games with a 21.49.
Separated the top three by almost two tenths of a second, Great Britain's Benjamin Proud finished off the podium with a fourth-place time in 21.68, while Ukraine's Andriy Hovorov, who led a vast field of swimmers earlier in the heats, slipped shortly to fifth in 21.74. Brazil's hometown favorite Bruno Fratus, fourth-place finalist from London 2012, and South Africa's Brad Tandy shared the sixth spot in a matching 21.79, with Lithuanian swimmer Simonas Bilis (22.08) closing out the field.
Other notable swimmers featured Australia's Cameron McEvoy, Russia's Vladimir Morozov, Manaudou's brother-in-law and countryman Frédérick Bousquet, and Trinidad and Tobago's George Bovell, who scored a twenty-seventh place finish in his fifth Olympic appearance.
Prior to this competition, the existing world and Olympic records were as follows.
|World record||20.91||São Paulo, Brazil||18 December 2009|
|Olympic record||21.30||Beijing, China||16 August 2008|
|1||4||Andriy Hovorov||21.46||Q, NR|
|3||6||Benjamin Proud||21.54||Q, NR|
|8||Simonas Bilis||Q, NR|
- "Men's 50m Freestyle". Rio 2016. Archived from the original on 26 August 2016. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- Gordon, James; Irvine, Chris (13 August 2016). "Golden oldie! Anthony Ervin becomes the oldest swimmer ever to win gold at the Olympics at the age of 35 – 16 years after he won in Sydney". Daily Mail. Retrieved 4 September 2016.
- Auerbach, Nicole (12 August 2016). "Anthony Ervin becomes oldest male individual swimming champion". USA Today. Retrieved 4 September 2016.
- Baldwin, Alan (12 August 2016). "Swimming: Ervin wins gold 16 years after his first". Reuters. Retrieved 4 September 2016.
- "US swimmer Anthony Ervin wins Olympic gold in men's 50M freestyle; Nathan Adrian takes bronze". New York Post. 12 August 2016. Retrieved 4 September 2016.
- "Anthony Ervin Once Again Claims Olympic 50 Free Gold, Sixteen Years After Original". Swimming World Magazine. 12 August 2016. Retrieved 4 September 2016.
- "Rio Olympics 2016: Ben Proud agonisingly misses out on medal after becoming sixth Brit to finish fourth in the pool". United Kingdom: The Sun. 12 August 2016. Retrieved 4 September 2016.
- "Andrii Govorov Qualifies First for 50 Freestyle Semifinals". Swimming World Magazine. 11 August 2016. Retrieved 4 September 2016.
- "Cate And Bronte Campbell Miss The Rio Olympics Podium". The Huffington Post. 11 August 2016. Retrieved 4 September 2016.
- "Tanzania: Swimming Body Lauds Hilal's Rio Feat". Tanzania Daily News. AllAfrica.com. 17 August 2016. Retrieved 17 December 2016.